twelve

It takes about twenty minutes to get all the Resistance pilots up and in the air

It takes about twenty minutes to get all the Resistance pilots up and in the air. Poe, as instructed by my mother, is leading all squadrons.

Our X-wings exit lightspeed, and we arrive above Takodana's atmosphere. R3 lets out a happy beep, and spins his head around. I glance down, and see an endless sea of green and blue.

Takodana is known for its lush forests and big lakes. It's always gorgeous out here.

I adjust the comlink in my ear as the X-wings begin our descent to the planet.

As we get closer to the ground, I begin to see the signs of battle. Up ahead of me, smoke rises from an unknown source.

Beneath our ships, there's a huge crystal blue lake. It's gorgeous.

Our X-wings skim the lakes surface, water surrounding us. In the distance, I can see Maz's castle. It's been blown to bits. I frown a little bit. Dad would always take me there. I loved that place.

Behind me, R3-S4 let's out a series of beeps.

"Go straight at 'em!" Poe yells into his headset. "Don't let these dogs scare you!"

"Yes Commander!" I giggle into the mic.

I hear Poe sigh in the other end, but I can tell he's trying to suppress a laugh.

The X-wings, a mix of the blue, red, white, green, gold, and black squadrons, all speed up. We soar towards the castle ruins. Once we're close enough, TIE fighters start to appear. I shoot at them, trying to take as many down as possible.

The Resistance X-wings scatter. I let out a whoop over the mics and the pillows all do the same. The one thing we share is our love for flying.

As we continue to fight, I watch as the First Order loses most of their TIE fighters.

I watch as Poe dives towards the ground. I guess that he's shooting at stormtroopers in the castle.

As I fly, my head fills with the usual buzz of joy. After this, I get to see Dad. I know I will. The sooner this battle is done, the sooner I get to see him.

I fly faster, a new sense of determination flowing through me.

The Resistance X-wings are scattered about now. Everywhere I look, there's battles happening.

In front of me, a thick cloud of newly dispatched TIE fighters looms. I head towards them, my guns already firing. The fighters perk up and scream towards me. I swerve to avoid them, but I quickly realize there's too many.

"Dammit!" I curse to myself.

Two TIE fighters must've slipped behind me, unnoticed, because the next thing I know, I'm spiraling through the air.

I let out a scream as my X-wing plunges towards the lake.

We hit the lakes surface, and I slam my hand down on the open button.