twenty

I sit in the medical bay beside my mom

I sit in the medical bay beside my mom. She looks...dead. My mom is always up and doing something. Without that spark in her, she looks old and tired.

I shiver slightly.

Someone knocks on the wall, and I turn. It's Dameron.

"You cold?" He asks, already sliding off his leather jacket. Instead of telling him I'm not, I nod my head.

Poe wraps the jacket around my shoulders, and sits down next to me. He snakes an arm around me, and rubs my shoulder. I lean into him, my head on his collarbone.

"Are you alright?" Poe asks. "You've been here an awful lot lately."

"I-I don't know. My mom and I don't have a good relationship, but that doesn't mean I don't love her." In the back of my mind, I see the image of my mother lying dead outside the burning Resistance base. I shiver again, and Poe pulls me in for a hug, resting his head on top of mine.

I snuggle closer into him, and try to fight back tears.

"First Ben. Then my father-" I nearly break down at the mention of Han. "And now mom. I've lost everyone Poe."

"That's not true." Poe says. "You have Lula, Finn, BB-8, BB-12. You have me."

I let out a watery laugh.

"I don't think you count as family Dameron."

"You sure?" He playfully asks.

At that exact moment, someone comes bursting through the door. Poe and I both jump up.

I first catch sight of Finn and I smile. Then I notice the short girl standing next to him. I cock my head. I don't think I've ever seen her before.

"Poe. Wren. We know how to save the fleet." Finn says breathlessly.

My eyes widen.

"How?" I ask.

Finn launches into an explanation and the girl (she introduced herself as Rose) interjects every few moments. Poe walks over and leans against a table. He rubs his eyes.

"Just give it to me one more time, but simpler." He says with a sigh.

"So the First Order's only tracking us from one Destroyer, the main one."

"So we make blow that one up?" Poe asks. I lightly smack his arm.

"I like where you're heading, but no. They'd only start tracking us from another Destroyer." Finn explains.

Rose speaks up. "But if we can-"

Finn interrupts her. Rose sighs and I offer her a sad smile. "If we sneak on board the lead Destroyer and disable the tracker without them realizing, then we can-"

"They won't realize if it's for one system cycle." Rose finally says. She's raised her voice so that everybody looks at her. She gulps. "About six minutes."