18

I was woken up in the middle of the night by something out in the forest. I shifted into my wolf form, lifted my head and tried to focus my hearing. My horse came to my side, and together we both scanned the woods. I walked to the edge of the forest and placed my nose to the ground, it was an unfamiliar scent. The footsteps were still coming closer and closer, till I was met with the shadow of a small figure. I growled and made my eyes glow, the figure turned to me. "Hello," it was a young man. I padded closer, and changed into my human form. 

"What brings you here?" I asked. 

"Who are you?" he quizzed me. 

"I am, Phoenix. Geralt of Rivias companion," I said. 

"You're the famous shapeshifter?" he inquired. 

"Yes. Now what are you doing here?" I asked.

"I am looking for the same man," he answered. 

"And coming out here on your own was a good idea?" I quizzed him, wandering around him. 

"I was heading in the direction that you two were last spotted," he said. 

"Well go back to wherever you came from, you're not prepared to fight all you have is a lute," I laughed. 

"Please, just let me spend the night. I won't be a nuisance," he said.

"What's your name?" I asked. 

"Jaskier," he replied. 

"Fine, Jaskier one night!" I exclaimed. 

"Thank you, thank you," he said excitedly and followed me back to the water's edge, with a snap of my fingers the fire came to life. "Why are you alone? You and Geralt fallen out?" 

"No," I said. "I don't like elves." 

"Wait elves exist?" he asked a little shocked. 

"Yes, many monsters do, do you live under a rock?" I replied. 

"Must do if you know more than we do," he said. 

"Just go to sleep," I growled.

"Okay," he said putting his lute down and laid on his back. I shifted into my wolf form and placed my head over my paws. "Can I touch your fur?" 

"No," I replied. 

"Are your senses heightened?" he asked. 

"Yes," I said. 

"Does Geralt use you to hunt?" 

"No." 

"Do you fight in your wolf form?" 

"Yes."

"How did you become a shapeshifter?" 

"Go to sleep." 

"Are you part wolf?" 

"Do you have an off switch?" I asked. 

"Answer my questions and I'll answer yours," Jaskier said. 

"Doesn't work that way, shut up and go to sleep!" I growled. 

"Fine," he said now falling silent, as he and my horse slept I patrolled the perimeter. I ignored the sounds of the night and kept my eyes focused on any shapes that weren't the trees, but my focus was soon interrupted by the sound of Jaskiers snoring. I walked back to the river and grabbed my cloak and put it over his face but he pulled it away. I bedded down a few metres away from Jaskier and tried to sleep.  

As soon as I thought he had fallen silent I was woken up again by his snoring. I whacked him with my tail, and he stirred. "Shut up!" I growled. 

"Okay," he said and turned over with his back to me. I let out a sigh of relief as he was finally silent, and it wasn't long till I then drifted off.