22

The rain still hadn't let up. It was my turn to guard. Rest was no longer to grace me. I paced up and down keeping my eyes on the darkness enveloping the road.  My ears pricked up high on my head, my tongue hung out of my mouth. My breath fogged and dissipated it was cold that night. I took a glimpse over my shoulder, Jaskier was asleep still and Geralt sharpened his blade. I sat only for a few moments, a gloved hand rested on my long fur.  I turned my head to greet Geralt. "We're almost there, then you can rest," he said. 

"You too," I said. 

"You're my main concern," he said.

"The sooner we can get rid of that human," I said and wagged my tail. He chuckled and patted my back.

"Nah, I'm kinda getting used to the boy," he said. 

"You may be, but I'm not," I snarled staring down at his sleeping form. 

"Any alerts?" he asked. I shook my head. 

"It's all quiet tonight, go rest. I just know that you will want to leave at dawn," I said. 

"No tomorrow we will recuperate here," he said, I turned my head to the side. "You and the boy need it." 

"I do not, but I guess a few days won't hurt," I said but my attention was suddenly caught by the sound of a woman crying in agony, I lifted my head to the sky as the smell of blood wafted into my nostrils. I bounded off in the direction of the smell. 

"Phoenix!" Geralt yelled and chased after me. I slowed down as I was close. As I looked down Ciri's small injured form met my eyes. I laid down and nudged her with my nose. 

"H...Hello P...Phoenix," she smiled weakly. I helped her climb onto my back, I galloped back to camp and laid her by the fire. Geralt rushed over to us. 

"What happened?" he asked desperately. 

"I was attacked...I...In the woods.... robbed and beaten," she said. 

"You're safe now," he said trying to make her comfortable.  

"I didn't do anything!" Jaskier said as he woke himself up. We all looked over him, I dropped my ears and huffed a growl.  

"You take care of Ciri I'm going back to guarding," I said and went back to my original spot. Fireflies were there now, they landed on my nose and ears till I shook my head and they took off into the air, I glanced into the camp watching Geralt taking care of Ciri. After a few moments of my paws going numb, I stood up and paced up and down again, chasing and trying to catch Fireflies. Dawn made its way through the trees, and birds were singing loudly. It became a fight to stay awake. 

"It's okay you can rest now," Jaskier said walking over to me, I growled and trotted down to the camp. I nudged Ciri with my nose gently, but she was in too deep asleep to wake up.  

"Is she okay?" I asked. 

"She will be, just needs to heal and rest," Geralt said, I gave him a nod and bedded down for the day.