23

I slept for a few hours. Jaskier kept singing to himself, I pinned my ears and rolled my eyes to a sleeping Ciri. "You're not going to get a lot of sleep with your eyes open," Geralt said sharpening his blade.  

"Doesn't matter," I said stretching and clicking my claws. 

"I can't make you sleep," he said. 

"I am going to forage for some herbs," I said. 

"Be careful, don't go too far," he said. I gave him a nod and bolted up the bank, my ears sat high on my head, alert and poised. I walked the autumnal path slowly, I kept the noise to a minimum. Just as a doe and her fawns crossed my path I stood still watching them frolic and bounce in front of me. As they disappeared into the foliage I kept walking, I was searching for a herb that grew on top of the sapphire waterfall, it took a couple of moments till my ears focused on the sound of running water. I bounded towards the sound, the crunching leaves gave my position away.

I emerged and saw the crystal blue water. A whirlpool had been created at the bottom of it. There growing on top was the red weed I needed, when I reached the top I paused and looked around my surroundings I took a deep breath. I shifted into my human form and picked the red weed I needed. I took several handfuls, but my gathering was suddenly interrupted.  I turned as the footsteps came closer, it was two bandits. "Not safe for a young witch to be out on her own," one said. I stood and giggled at them. 

"I suggest you both keep walking," I growled. 

"Oh come on sweetheart where's the fun in that," the other said while the other restrained me, hooking his arms under mine.  The other searched through my pockets, but I kicked back one and headbutted the other. 

"I wouldn't have done that," the man I kicked back said. 

"Why?" I asked but before I could answer the other pushed me forward into the water, I glanced up at him as he held a bloody nose. I tried to trip up the bloodied nosed one, but he pulled me up by the shoulders, while the other grabbed my feet and together they threw me over the edge of the waterfall, I hit the water with a thud the whirlpool dragged me under and knocked my head against the stone, the whirlpool spat me back out and I was washed down the river a few metres away. The men still stood on top of the waterfall. 

"Let's go!" one exclaimed. 

"I think we've killed her," the other said, just as pain racked my body and my eyes were about to close both men disappeared. I was swallowed by the darkness.  When I came around pain thumped around my head, I tried to lift it but it made me dizzy and forced my head back into the water, I whimpered. The water around me was red, I tried to use my telepathy to communicate with Geralt. 

'Geralt, help me,' I said. 

'Phoenix what happened?' he asked. 

'Just get here,' I replied. 

'Where are you?' he asked. 

'Sapphire waterfall,' I answered.