Chapter 2

"Just be good Eliza, be polite, don't make anyone upset. The last thing we need is a scene."

I zoned out as my father babbled on about how I should present myself. I already knew what I was going to do- I was to keep my head down and stay quiet and just wait until this was all over.

I had decided I wasn't going to look; not even sneak a peak. I did not want images of wolves being whipped to their deaths lingering in my brain for the rest of my existence.

I couldn't help but let my mind wander as we all made our way to the clearing just outside our land. Who would be volunteering? Surely it would only be a single she-wolf- a young one without children.

There were about thirty females in my pack and around twenty of them were elders or mothers. I shivered, knowing that one of the volunteers would be a friend; someone that I had grown up with.

Bending around the corner, my mouth hung open as we reached the clearing. Usually empty and filled with nothing but howling winds and dust, it was now fully packed; almost impossible to squeeze past anyone.

Due to my short stature, it was hard for me to see, which I was grateful for, however, I knew I would still be able to hear. I twiddled with the hem of black blouse nervously, just hoping that this event would be short and snappy.

"Is everybody here?" boomed a loud voice, "good. I am Beta Hart. The Alpha is running a little late, but he's ordered me to get the event started and he will be here soon. Each pack must now present their volunteers!"

About a dozen she-wolves made their way into the middle of the clearing, all wearing either floaty dresses or smart blouses and jeans. However, we all knew those outfits would soon be ripped and blood covered.

I squinted my eyes, craning my neck in an attempt to identify the females in the middle, but I didn't recognise anyone. I turned to my father, who was staring, his eyes wide.

Hushed whispers filled our side of the clearing as each female announced their pack, some of them being declined and sent back into the crowd due to multiple volunteers from the same pack.

The last female spoke, announcing her pack name with pride. She smiled out to the crowd, her pearly whites beaming. You could just tell she had been waiting for this moment her entire life.

"Well, The Blue Stone pack, I assume we are missing someone?" Beta Hart asked, a smirk playing at his lips as he turned to my Alpha, James.

James sighed, stepping forwards. "Nobody has put themselves forwards, I'm afraid."

Beta Hart chuckled. "Oh, a weak pack I see. What do you think makes you exempt from this event Alpha Hughes?"

James shook his head. "I do not consider us exempt. The fact of the matter is, nobody has volunteered. It is your decision what you do with this information."

"Well, you know what happens when nobody volunteers. The Alpha selects one of you at random, but since he isn't here right now, I'll have to do the honour."

"No," mumbled my father, gripping onto my hand.

"All un-mated females aged between eighteen and twenty five step forward!" yelled Beta Hart.

My father yanked me back, gritting his teeth. "You are not going up there!"

"David, you will get everyone killed! There's a chance she may not get chosen, release your daughter now!" growled Alpha James, his eyes holding regret as they flickered to mine.

My father growled lowly, releasing my hand as my mother held her hand to her mouth in fear.

Shaking, I slowly started to squeeze past people, making my way into the middle of the clearing where four other girls stood.