Chapter 29

Two days.

Two days of sitting in the cell, longing the days away, and withstanding severe dehydration. I lifted my head up, rubbing my eyes, hoping for my fuzzy vision to clear somewhat.

"And she's awake," said Emily, chuckling to herself. "I told you, that wolfsbane really puts you out of it."

"I'm so thirsty," I mumbled, clutching at my dry scratchy throat.

Emily nodded. "Yeah, that happens. Joanna comes in with water every couple of days or so."

"How long have you been here?" I asked, scooting closer to the cell bars in order to see Emily a little clearer.

"Three years," she replied, huffing.

I furrowed my brows, shaking my head. I really didn't know how Emily was strong enough to withstand all of this, but she was supposed to be the Luna, and I could see why. Her mental strength was something I was envious of.

"What was Jordan like?" I asked, knowing that it may have been a touchy subject to ask about, but since both of our futures unforeseeable, I figured it couldn't hurt to find out a little more about Emily's mate, and Logan's brother.

Emily smiled, closing her eyes, resting the side of her head against the cold rusty bars. "He was that guy that everyone loved. Every kid looked up to him; they all couldn't wait for him to become Alpha.

"He was incredibly loving and caring, but he found it hard to let go, especially of Joanna. I didn't blame him, they had been together for years, but when he met me, it hurt him to see her so heartbroken. He just wanted what was best for her, but she vowed she would never give up on him."

I nodded my head, taking in everything Emily said, allowing her to vent. I had guessed she hadn't had someone to do that to in a very long time, and I was more than willing to listen. "But she never got what she wanted," I said, offering Emily a smile.

"No, she didn't, and neither did I," sighed Emily, sorrow plastered all over her face, masking her.

"I'm sorry," I whispered, a wave of guilt flowing through me.

"What's Logan like as a mate?" Emily asked, angling her body so she was properly facing me.

"We actually met at The Whipping," I said, unsure of how Emily was going to react.

Emily furrowed her brows, squinting her baby blue eyes. "What?"

I scratched my head awkwardly, tucking my now scraggly chestnut brown behind my ears. "It's a long story."

Emily shrugged. "We've got time."

I furrowed my dark brows, twiddling with my fingers nervously. "Do we? How do you know?"

"As long as Logan doesn't find out where you are, Joanna will keep you alive."

"Why?" I asked.

"She wants to wait until Logan discovers your location. That way, she can kill you right in front of him. She'll get more satisfaction out of it that way."

"Well, what's stopped him from finding us? We aren't exactly far away from my territory?" I said, feeling frustration course through my veins.

"Wolfsbane. It's Joanna's favourite thing to use. She scatters a little around the surrounding area, that way, it blocks the sense of smell, but there isn't enough of it to actually identify it as wolfsbane. So to anyone trying to track us, it would just appear as if there was no scent there to track. She uses it wherever we go."

"So, you haven't always been down here?" I asked, confused.

Emily shook her head. "No, we move every couple months or so. Joanna gets a lot of different people to help her."