Chapter 26

I fluttered my eyes open, blinking a few times in order to un-blur my vision, looking around the room sleepily as I took in what had happened last night.

I turned to see Logan snoring away next to me, his arm draped over my stomach protectively, pressing me against his warm chest. I smiled to myself, taking in a deep breath, allowing myself to absorb the tranquil aura fogging the room.

I felt like Logan and I had both accepted each other for what we were, and although I knew I was going to go against his orders tomorrow at The Whipping, I knew it was what he wanted deep down, but was too scared to take the risk.

He knew The Whipping was wrong, and I was going to remind him of that. I was going to show him there were other options.

My thoughts turned to Theo, and a wave of sadness instantly rushed through me, causing me to sigh. I needed to go and see him.

I scooted towards the edge of the bed, trying my hardest not to wake Logan up, easing his arm off my slowly, causing him to stir and turn in his sleep. I sighed, slipping on my old clothes, and padding down the steps towards the kitchen.

I was suddenly met with a set of stormy grey eyes, raising her eyebrows at me questionably as she sat at the table, chewing on her breakfast.

"You're here early," said Heather, smirking, shaking her head.

"Um, I didn't hear you come in," I said awkwardly, trying my best to avoid eye contact.

"Millie wanted to see Logan," Heather replied.

"He's still sleeping."

"He must be tired. Busy night?" asked Heather, laughing, causing me to almost choke on my own saliva.

"I better get back to mine to get dressed and shower. I need to check on Theo," I said, ducking my head, making my way to the door.

"So The Whipping is tomorrow," announced Heather, stopping me in my tracks. I turned around, gazing at her awkwardly.

"Yeah, it is."

"Tell me Eliza, why organise another one?" she asked, taking another bite of her toast, her grey stormy eyes boring into my chocolate brown ones.

"I's just, I-" I stuttered.

Heather shook her head, closing her eyes and pinching the bridge of her nose. "No, no,  I opened up to you, now it's your turn."

She pushed her chair back, stood up and made her way over to me, towering over my small form. "Why organise another Whipping?"

I studied Heather's face, forcing myself not to blurt out the plan to stop the ugly tradition, not knowing whether she would snitch on me or not. "I guess I just wanted to push the chance of an attack back. I felt guilty, knowing that my arrival would be the reason for the other packs then attacking."

"I wanted the packs to wait until they heard Logan had found his mate, and I was hoping they'd never find out. I knew they'd attack eventually, but I'd rather they attack later than sooner." I lied, avoiding eye contact, just wanting the conversation to be over.

Heather studied me, squinting her eyes as she took in my expression. "Eliza, wouldn't you rather get the attack over with? And win? Our pack is strong, we train on the daily. If they want a fight, we can give them a fight."

I nodded, secretly agreeing with Heather, but I knew I couldn't give anything away.

"I was supposed to take over this pack when Jordan died, but I didn't. I can never take that decision back. You and I are very different Eliza, however, if it came down to the both of us, I think you could run this pack much better than I ever could. I'm loud and have natural leadership skills, but, I lack emotion, compassion, empathy."