Chapter 19: Bitter-sweet Memories

Sam's POV

Just like what Dr Greene said, she visited me once again to have my check-up. I met Dr Greene back when I was 7 when my parents died in a car crash. The events were still blurry for me back then. Mom told me that I was found in a forest, blood scattered all over the place, and two unknown men were found dead because of animal bites. The events were still unclear.

I asked the doctor if I could already get out, and she approved. There were no physical injuries so far, and she told me that it was a good sign. As for my mental health, she will be keeping a close look at it. She said that she didn't want to get the onboard first thing if she's away. I have nagged once again because of my actions.

"You're lucky. My husband is very considerate," she sighed, looking at me. I gave her an apologetic smile. "I'd like you to skip class for today. I'll send your school a letter. I want you to get some rest, and I mean it, Sam" she eyed me seriously. I nodded as I chuckled at her for knowing my habits. "If your stress level gets high, find a way to release it like play a piano or draw. Just don't bottle it up, alright? Your emotional stress got high that it even affected your mind," she said in her professional tone. Then we heard the door open and saw Carter coming in with a bag.

"Am I imposing?" Carter asked, looking at the both of us. I smiled and shook my head.

"You're just quite on time" Dr Greene smiled at him. "Keep this child from any stressful matters. If she's too stressed up, find a way to relieve it like be a punching bag for her," she said playfully on the last part. Carter chuckled as he looked at me. He nodded at the doctor's instruction. When Dr Greene left me the room, Carter handed me the bag with my clothes change.

"You don't mind in just your hoodie and sweats, right?" he asked. I chuckled at his choice of clothes.

He probably just grabbed something I could be comfortable wearing. I got to the bathroom that was inside the room and did my morning routine. After that, both of us got home. Dr Greene already took the liberty to discharge me. Both of us got inside the car, and I took shotgun.

"Have you took your breakfast?" Carter asked as he got the car out of the hospital grounds. I shook my head. "How 'bout we head to Pop's?" he grinned.

"Sure" I smiled at the memory.

That diner reminded me of how Carter gained my trust. I was skipping breakfast, and mom was quite worried. Simply put, I didn't have an appetite back then because of depression. He asked mom if he could bring me somewhere, and he drag me to a diner. It was an old school like you were brought back in the 70s but trusted me when I say the food tastes damn fine. The diner's owner was a black American, and his friendly nature got me to eat his food.

"We're here", Carter informed me as he pulled the handbrakes up. I looked at the diner in front of me, and despite the modern age, it's got its classic style. I got out of the car and followed Carter inside. The bell rang, and a woman in her 50s greeted us with a wide smile.

"Hey there, Carter", she greeted him with a hug that the man reciprocated immediately. "You haven't been visiting the diner lately" she put a hand on her waist.

"Yeah. I've been busy lately with work, Bea," he said as they broke off the hug. He then turned his head at me with a smile. "Remember the little kid that I used to bring here?" she nodded and quickly gawked at me.

"Is this her?" she asked in a surprised manner. "She's grown too much!" she approached me and gave me a hug. "I know you can't remember too much because I was in the kitchen a lot of times," she said as she cupped my face. "But I remember you too well whenever you have a fit", she chuckled. "Just a candy from you ol' Bea would do the thing", I giggled as I recalled the memory. She then broke off the hug and went to the other side of the counter. "Frank! You have visitors!" she shouted loudly.