Chapter 31: Snowflakes

SAM'S POV

I was currently sitting face to face with the raven-haired girl as both of us settled down on the living area of the orphanage. I had already put Kylie to bed and Arthur asked for help with his homework. Her stare was obviously on mine, not being shy of doing it in front of me.

"Why are you here?" she asked with her arms folded across her chest.

"I was told to visit this orphanage," I answered nonchalantly.

"Mom's busy so I went on her behalf," I added.

"How about you? What are you doing here?" I asked as I leaned my elbow on my knees. Somehow, my action intimidated her.

"I always visit this orphanage," she answered as her eyes checked on Arthur's progress.

My eyes this time got to look more of her side profile. Her hair locks fall freely on the side of her face not totally covering it. Her long black complimented well her green forest eyes. Her face free of freckles and her lips plump that was covered with pinkish lipstick.

"You do know staring is rude, right?" Her eyes turned to my direction. I leaned back on my seat as I draped my arm over the back of the couch, my legs crossed.

"I was not complaining when you were doing that earlier," I pointed out.

That made it bring color to her cheeks as she focused once again on Arthur. It brought a smile to my face but kept it inside me.

"You know that you shouldn't break a kid's promise, right?" I heard Aphrodite ask. I nodded.

"I'm a person of my words, Aphrodite," I looked at her and I noticed that she had a pained look which was quickly hidden because she turned her face to the other direction. Then I heard she mumble something that I couldn't comprehend well.

"Are you saying something?" She sucked a breath before shaking her head.

"Nothing. I just remembered something" she said then turned to Arthur.

"Do you have other homework that you wanted me to help you with?" she asked and the young boy nodded and brought out the other books. My phone alerted me with a text from Carter. He was telling me that we're about to leave so I excused myself. I saw Carter already waiting in the car.

"Took you long enough," he said as I got inside the car.

"Came across with the little girl I bumped to earlier," The engine started and Carter shifted the gears.

"The one who called you a prince?" he asked with a smirk. I nodded and told him what happened.

"Aphrodite was there earlier?" he asked once again which I nodded.

"So are you gonna visit there again?" He asked as he glanced at me.

"Once I got time," I said as I laid back on the seat.

"I think of bringing the girls there," I added and in my peripheral vision, I saw him nod.

My mind drifted to Aphrodite's look when I told her that I'm not breaking my promise to the little girl. I wonder why she had that pained look. Did someone promise her and didn't fulfill it? Is that why she reacted like that? I shook my head as I looked at my phone. There was a text coming from Amanda. I've got permission from Rin. You could stay overnight. See you at 8. I texted her that I'll be coming over after getting some clothes from home. Then, I slipped my phone to my pocket and looked at the busy streets through the window.

~~~~~~~~~~   F   E   W     H   O   U   R   S     L   A   T   E   R   ~~~~~~~~~~

I packed a night worth of clothes and my suit for the next day knowing that I have work the next morning. As I placed my duffle bag inside the Hummer, I heard Ally coming downstairs.