Chapter 2 : A personal tragedy

Gotham City Cemetery

The weather is gloomy as drops of rain is now falling from the skies. Today, a group of people gathered in front of a tombstone for a funeral. Sobs and cries came out from time to time while the priest read out funeral rites. Bruce was in front of the group as he held my hand in his, even though he couldn't shake his sad expression. Neither of us expected this. Alfred died in home of natural causes, a news which kept me and Bruce awake, in my residence as Vice President of the United States. Bruce took this news very hard, because he was his mentor, guardian and father figure. His death was sudden. Everyone in the family came : Richard, Damian, the Foxes, the Kanes and his new ward Duke. Bruce clasped me against his grasp and I quietly leaned against his chest, providing the emotional support needed. After the rites Bruce and I remained, I helped clutching the umbrella for him. 

"I promise you, old friend, to take care of her. You have always been supportive of us, even though you gave me the heads up when I didn't notice." he said. "I love Isabella, and I will always be with her." I looked at his back, tears swimming in my eyes, remained unshed. "So long, old friend." he finished, resting a hand against the marble tombstone. The rain starts to grow stronger, leaving me struggling to angle the umbrella to shield us both from the rain. "It's okay Isa." he said, taking the umbrella. Our protection detail is waiting beside our vehicle, although it's an SUV, stands out from the crowd. Even chatty Timothy was silent today, as he knew that his boss was silent. He opened the door for us to go in and closed it back. 

"Where to now ma'am?" he asked. Unsure I looked at Bruce.

"Wayne Tower." Bruce replied. 

Wayne Tower (Half an hour later)

Standing in front of the closed doors Bruce held his grip firmly against the door handles. I'm not sure on what will he do but a sense of uneasiness flooded me. Opening the door in grand style he strode into the meeting room, his brooding expression came back again. Inside the room sat six people : Luke Fox, Lucius Fox, Katherine Kane, Damian Wayne, Richard Grayson and Duke. He then sat at the chair at the long end of the table. I followed him later, as I'm suspicious and worried about him right now. "Thank you for coming." he begun. Everybody held their breaths tight, bracing for any kind of news he could burst at any moment now. "I have decided, to stay in DC with Isa. I know this isn't the next step you anticipated but-"

"We understand Bruce." his old friend Lucius Fox replied. "We all need time to cope with the grief." My heart skipped a beat when Bruce announced the decision. "You can count on us to look over Gotham for you." Even his hot-headed son Damian blinked twice in astonishment. 

Noting his son's reaction Bruce said nothing and he met my gaze of concern. "You don't-" I said.

"I made my choice Isa." he said firmly. "I hope you all can handle on your own." he then stood up and left the room. 

"Bruce, wait." I said. 

"I know what you're going to say, but we'll need to talk this in private." We went to the place once served as his office and he locked the door. "You must be thinking that I've made a stupid choice." he already knew, for real.

"I do. Gotham is your home as far as I'm concerned. Are you sure that you are ready?"

"I never forget that here is my home, I need time to cope, with all this."

"What about Duke? His training isn't complete yet."

"His training will continue, we will see to it."

"We? What do you mean?" I folded my arms in suspicion. 

"I was hoping that we could train him together." he offered. 

"I don't feel like burdening the boy." I said. "But I'll think about it."

"I've anticipated that, never mind. You have the time."

"If you're going to leave Gotham behind for a while what about Duke? You can't just leave him, right?"

"You have a room in your home?"

"You've got to be kidding me." I said. "Scrub that. You're his legal guardian, I won't say anything about that so fair enough."