Chapter 4 : Revisits

The sound of the grandfather clock banging is audible from upstairs as I sat cross-legged on the couch in my private study nobody is allowed to enter. This study is a no-go zone because I have my past hidden here, some of them are not allowed on public. I don't really have an idea on why I'm here. In this small room bookshelves with loads of FBI files dotted the room while a fireplace separates the shelves, joined by a small coffee table with a chair and a work table with my laptop on it. Getting up I walked towards the left shelf and withdrew a folder, labelled 'Interrogations' and opened it, looking through what is inside. I have secrets that my father and Bruce never knew. Director Harkavy allowed me to keep them when I left active service after the transition period of the Wintergreen administration to the Reagan administration. My memories slowly winded back as I read through those files.

J. Edgar Hoover Building (Years ago)

It's seven in the morning when I walked into the headquarters of the FBI, my current employer. Sipping coffee from the to-go cup I walked briskly towards the elevator lobby as the sunny weather is in full swing. My special agent badge hung against my belt along with my service pistol. Wearing only a white long-sleeved shirt with my favorite black leather jacket and a pair of jeans people might assume me as a casual visitor but one look at the badge and service pistol is enough to rebuff the statement. "Good morning Senior Special Agent Black Bird." some of my colleagues greeted. Smiling I reached the elevator lobby and pressed the button. I work for the Counterintelligence Division under the command of Assistant Director Ryan Carey, and occasions, with Julius Harkavy with Ryan's permission and oversight.

The elevator arrived and I entered, pressing the button of the floor I intend to go. My promotion to Senior Special Agent came at a surprise when I completed my undercover assignment to unmask spies while working under of the hotel industry's famous names De Belle. I didn't just found the names of the spies I also found lists of people who went missing in every hotel chain around the world, all women between the age of 20 to 30, are trafficked around the globe as sex workers. Ryan was surprised when I told him what I found while waiting in private lounge for my flight back to Washington in the airport in Brussels. Entering my office I noted the busy personnel and headed to my desk. "Isabella!" someone called to me when I set down the to-go cup. I looked up and Andy Duncan waved at me. Duncan is my partner and colleague in the agency. Andy and I are regarded as the best of the best in the Counterintelligence Division but we often went on separate missions despite being partners.

"Morning Andy. What's up?" I asked.

"Can't believe you're back already. It's been months since I last saw you."

"Come on Andy, you know Ryan's mission preferences."

"Isabella! Andy!" and came the voice of our boss, Ryan Carey. "In my office!" gently punching him in the arm I headed into Carey's office.

"Good morning sir." I said.

"You've been gone for months, you forget that Ryan's fine."

"Old habits die hard I suppose." Andy closed back the door of the office and we both sat down in the chairs opposite his desk. "What's the job boss?"

"We nabbed a South Korean Army officer." Ryan said.

"Is there any importance in it sir?" Andy chipped in.

"Problem is, he's not South Korean."

"What?" Andy and I asked.

"He was carrying a fake South Korean passport. What I need you to do is to-"

"Interrogate him. I see." I finished the sentence.

"And this is why I consider you both up to the task in making him talk." Ryan said. "Director Harkavy wants results."

"Oh boy." Andy said.

"Dismissed, get me the answers ASAP." he ordered.

"Right away sir." I said. Andy and I left the office and headed towards the elevator. Andy's phone buzzed in his pocket and he read the message before showing it to me. "Black site?" I asked.

"He did mention that our guy is a military officer. Maybe he could be having a bomb on him?"

"You crazy? That's not our department." I told him.

"They're holding him in a black site out of DC." Andy read out the message once we entered the elevator. "You think it's for safety?"

"Hell, it is Andy. We're now experiencing the first transition in leadership after a successful impeachment."

Present Day

A knock on the door knocked me out of my reverie and Timothy is standing outside. "What is it?" I asked, closing the door.

"I'm sorry Madam Vice President, but this is urgent."

"You have to tell me what kind." I say, a brow raising.

"The President needs you at the White House, now." he said.