Chapter 27 : Decision-making

East Room

Standing outside the room President Reagan double checked his appearance to make sure that he is ready. I stood beside him in silence as I listened to the repeated clicks of the cameras coming out from inside the room. I have traded my casual wear to a tailored charcoal gray suit and still wearing my dog tags. The Presidents of both South Korea and Russia are getting ready as well. Brian stayed by the President as his protection detail but the military delegates maintained their stay in Blair House and is now watching the live press conference. A Secret Service agent approached the door and opened it. The members of the White House press corps kept their patience in check as President Reagan stepped out into the room and behind the lectern. I followed behind the President as his Vice President and the press corps are quick to notice the dog tags I am currently wearing. President Kang of South Korea emerged after the President, standing behind the lectern to his left with Brian guarding him while President Romanov of the Russian Federation stood to his right, Sharapov standing beside him.

Tapping the microphone to test it President Reagan then cleared his throat. "Good evening. Hours ago, around two pm, members of the Joint Terrorism Task Force led by Senior Special Agent Jeff Collins conducted an operation, to raid the compound containing North Korean agents, who were responsible for the attacks, assassinations, kidnapping and murder of their own citizens who had received political asylum, here in the United States of America. They are responsible in the shootings at California Memorial which the leader confessed to kidnap the Vice President to force her to reveal the locations of two important generals who has recently defected and is now in custody. Lucky for us we are able to repel the attackers but at the same time Blair House was attacked by another group of North Korean agents. The Secret Service are able to defend the attackers but the Vice President was injured by a stray bullet as well as a brave South Korean citizen who is tasked with protecting President Kang.

As you all have known my mother was killed by a sniper, and we now know that it was a North Korean who went rogue. We will continue to hunt down he who is responsible for the murder. Both President Kang and President Romanov are safe from the attack as you are now seeing. But that's not all. Another operation is hatched, this time, raiding an illegal plutonium mining facility owned by the traitor who sells our resources to the North Korean dictator known as Han Ki Nam for profit. Their nuclear weapons program grew exponentially as a result of his actions. The capture of the North Korean agents is a symbol and a warning. A symbol that North Korea has penetrated our country's security defenses but as a warning to Han Ki Nam. If you're hearing this, I will tell you now. We know your sources of plutonium and has already shut them down, you will not be spared from the crimes you have a role in. We have the leader of your spy ring in custody, he has told us everything. I will not be tolerating you anymore. To the people who has lost their family members and loved ones to the regime, I am sorry for your losses. Today marks a day of triumph as justice is delivered, the agents we captured will be tried in court. Loved ones were lost because of what they have done to destabilize the United States but we are more than that. We know that all too well since September 11, I warn you Han Ki Nam, stay out of my country. If you dare threaten the United States with weapons of mass destruction I will not be the first one to retaliate, I will be the last." I was crossing my arms ever since the announcement started. I already know that the President will not be acting nice anymore towards the nation. 

"I will not tolerate their actions as well." President Romanov announced. "I hereby announce that effective immediately at midnight Russia will no longer have ties with this nation because of it's nature in continuing to defy sanctions imposed by the international community. I will not allow him to threaten my country and my people with weapons of mass destruction. I have consulted with my own foreign minister regarding to this matter and he agreed despite knowing that we have been allies to this nation during the Soviet-era."

I glanced at my uncle in disbelief. No Russian or Soviet leader has ever severed diplomatic relations with the DPRK, only suspending it. The press corps were taken aback by his bold decision and tried to ask questions. 

"Thank you, and have a good day." President Reagan said abruptly. He turned and exited the room, the leaders following suit with their aides and letting the White House Press Secretary take control.