Chapter 30 : Victory's aftermath

Number One Observatory Circle, Washington DC

Sitting in the living room with dad we watched the news channels playing every news about Super Tuesday including the victory speech he made. Following Julius' resignation because of the plutonium scandal President Reagan has to make a choice in the FBI's new director but he already had his mind. To my shock he decided to appoint Ryan Carey to be the FBI's new director. "There's always things that I hate about Super Tuesday." he said.

"Which is?" I asked. 

"They just can't stop saying that who wins and who loses, counting the states and analyzing the vote counts."

"Isn't that a good thing?" I asked.

"If this is the first thing you hear in the morning, no." I let out a stunned laughter. "I told Jack to give me a break."

"Aren't you doing right now? Chilling at my home and drinking soda?" I said. "Even though you prefer whiskey which I told you no alcohol stuff in my home."

"A buzz kill you are." he commented. "I caught you and Brian drinking beer at Camp David."

"I never said that I don't drink alcohol. I rarely drink it." I told the President. "You sure that you're not going to punish Andrew?" I asked. I told dad the truth about who shot me and Brian in front of an embarrassed Secret Service agent Andrew Barrowman and the President seemed calm.

"He got a personal reprimand, Reagan style."

"He was mistaken, dad. Don't be mad even though I know you did."

"And a suspension until Inauguration Day."

"Oh boy." I said. 

"McDonald gave the punishment, not me." a knock on the door, however, interrupted the conversation. 

"I'll go get it." I said, standing up. Walking slowly towards the door I wondered about who might be visiting at this hour. "Mr. Fox?" I asked upon opening the door.

"Oh, Madam Vice President." he said. "Congratulations on your victory last night."

"What are you doing here?" I asked.

"It's... long story short, I need Bruce to sign the papers he need to reclaim his company. He told me to come here instead of him going to Gotham."

"Oh boy, you guys can do this upstairs." I said, letting him in. President Reagan gave Lucius Fox a polite nod when he saw him and I showed him upstairs. 

"You have a lot of security I'd say Doctor Reagan." he said.

"Comes with the job I'm afraid. As the second most important people in the world you can't just walk around without someone trying to kill you."

"I understand." After showing him to the official study I went back downstairs to join dad in watching TV. Still the assassination has repercussions, dad's father Robert has moved into the executive residence along with Jonathan, who had to be transferred to DC as well. "Hey dad, if you're done watching Super Tuesday news, just change channels." I said. 

"Any drama you would recommend? Or books?"

"Books? I can recommend you on espionage related books."

"No thank you." he said. An hour later we heard footsteps and saw Lucius climbing down the stairs with Bruce. 

"Are you sure that you're not going to come back to Gotham for the moment?" he asked.

"Not at the moment." Bruce replied. "I decided to spend time with Isa." 

"Best of luck sir." he said as both men shook hands. "I'm sure that we'll see you at the board meeting next week?"

"Yes." Turning away from the conversation dad and I exchanged smiles as the news channel continued to talk about Super Tuesday.