Chapter 18 : Non-negotiable

Camp David

Marine One landed on the helipad while the Secret Service agents waited on the lawn, including our principal agents, Andrew Barrowman and Timothy Brock. The agents greeted us while another team of agents stood with the foreign delegates along with their foreign counterparts. The delegates entered first and gathered in the meeting room where the G8 Summit was held. The leaders of the three nations sat down at the round table while the aides sat on chairs set in the room. "The North Koreans went too far Mr. President." President Vladimir Romanov of the Russian Federation said angrily. "I'm going ahead with the decision to break off relations."

"This is a risky move President Romanov." President Reagan said. "Considering the fact that the Soviets are friends with the nation."

"Yes, I acknowledge that. But my people doesn't like what they're watching now. Because of what your predecessor did the nation is growing stronger in his nuclear arsenal."

"The Pentagon is on their way in tracking the source of where the plutonium was acquired." while they're talking I cast a glance at Brian's direction as now he is sitting with the rest of the South Korean delegation. But Brian is acting more like a intelligence analyst, sitting on the chair with a tilted leg and his chin perching on a hand. The members of the Joint Chiefs of Staff listened carefully, leaning forwards a little to listen more information. "We still need his brother to tell us the plans."

"But President Reagan, we needed the Vice President's consent to free him." President Kang Han Hae of the Republic of Korea reminded.

"I already had Ryan bring him and his brother along. Could use another interrogation." the President rebuffed him on the spot. "I'll allow the Vice President and Agent Park to handle the interrogation."

"What makes you think that she's capable?" President Kang asked.

"To be honest, I don't think you know the Vice President as you thought are." President Reagan countered. "Don't challenge my authority, just as what President Romanov's predecessor did and his punishment in return." this president has a very high streak of arrogance as my uncles had warned me prior. 

"Excuse me sir." Ryan Carey popped his head into the room. "They're here."

"Alright." President Reagan replied. "You're allowed to watch the interrogation, either in here through the electronic devices I've ordered to be set up or come in person." he said with a stern note. 

We entered the emergency bunker owned by the United States Navy and into a large space where the interrogation is to be conducted, only separated by a room with only a large pane of window and a door, the entry and exit point of the room. "You're up." President Reagan told me as Ryan Carey unlocked the door. 

"With pleasure." I said with a smile. Entering the room with Brian we approached the right end of the long table and sat down. The President instructs Ryan to bring both men only and now they're sitting on chairs but shackled to them. My cousin folded his hands together while I scanned both men from head to toe. 

"You... survived." the older brother said in his native tongue. I merely let out a cold smile in return. "We thought you're already dead."

"If I'm dead, you're dead as well." I replied. "No more games. I freed your brother. Tell us about the plans you stole from Han Ki Nam."

"A deal... is a deal." he said slowly. Taking out a book hidden within his uniform he placed it on the table and pushed it, sending it sliding towards us. Brian removed a plastic pack underneath the table top and peeled open the package. He handed me a pair of clean surgical gloves and I accepted, wearing it on. Casting a long and wary glance at the notebook, or possibly, a journal, I opened the leather bound book and the first page, makes me to let out a cold smile. Brian stared at me first but realized why the laugh's purpose when he saw what I was looking. 

"You've been playing scared for a while now." I said, my voice cold. "You already got this, that tells me one thing. You're not afraid of him." I held up the journal for the brothers to see. The first page has no schematics drawn on it but the logo of a sparrow is a dead giveaway. "Confess your crimes, and you get to live free. You don't and the government will pump a lot of drugs into your bloodstream until you can only speak the truth." Brian smiled, as if he had already anticipated my approach. Fear started to blossom in their eyes but the elder brother has more fear than his younger brother does. "There are only two answers to this mystery : either that The Sparrow trusts you enough to handle his belongings but you violated it by stealing this or, he allowed you to steal it." Leaving the journal opened I sat back on the chair and folded my arms, a tactic I normally use in interrogations to show them I will do it. "You have five minutes." I said. "If there's no answer, forget walking out of here alive. I will call in the FBI to send you to Guantanamo Bay."

Sweat streamed down from their cheeks but I maintained my posture. "Four minutes." Silence. "Two minutes."

"Time is ticking boys." Brian reminded. "Still we have to charge your nation for destroying our country's destroyer. Because of your level in the North Korean military you still have to be questioned again if you want to move to South Korea."

"One minute and thirty seconds." I said calmly. 

"South Korea is welcoming towards defectors but after what happened I don't think that we'll maintain the same attitude." still both men maintained their silence, giving us the feeling about more untold secrets. 

"We'll see if the judges approve of your transition to Guantanamo Bay, because your status and refusal to cooperate with the authorities. You've thrown away your chance of survival." I said, standing up. "I'm done." I told the people outside the room. Brian gave the former generals a pat on the shoulders as we prepares to leave the interrogation room. 

"Wait! Just wait!" the eldest brother shouted as I turned the door knob.