Chapter 3 : In her own words

Washington DC

Rain splashed against the windshield as the SUV passed through the bridge, crossing into DC. Looking out from the window I stared at the White House in silence. The President, now staying in the Blair House, won't enter today. Because in the morning he attended a military funeral at Arlington Cemetery. He said that he'd drop by soon but doesn't specify when. The entire atmosphere is as silent as a tomb as Timothy takes us back to Number One Observatory Circle. A road block was up ahead, prompting him to mutter a curse. "Madam, there's a road block up ahead."

"What happened?"

"Maybe's a standard routine check." the vehicle pulled up in front of the barricade and Timothy lowered the window. 

"Driver's license please." the officer asked. Handing him the card the officer looked inward and his eyes went wide. "Oh... uh, you can go." he almost stammered, handing back the license. Rolling up the window Timothy continued along the slippery road. 

"He saw me right?"

"Think so ma'am." he replied. "Do you want to go to Atlanta?"

"Maybe we'll just have the session in the house." I replied. I already knew Bruce was sketching his brow in suspicion. "Sorry, I have an interview." I explained. The car pulled up to the steps of the residence and before I knew it a similar vehicle pulled up a few seconds later. Timothy and Oliver exited simultaneously from their vehicles but I disembarked on my own. 

"Mr. Cooper accepted your request to do this on web cam." Oliver said as he opened the door of the residence. "Do you need any change of clothes or anything else?"

"No need for that Oliver. Thank you." I replied. 

Half an hour later

I watched the crew prop up the equipment needed for the interview as my pet cat leaned against me, trying to make me laugh as much as I can but I smiled instead of laughing out loud. A lapel pin is pinned on the neckline of my dress and I had to try to keep my cat Snowball from accidentally pawing it off. The interview is conducted in my study. The door opened with a creek and in came Anderson Cooper, ready for the interview. Exchanging a handshake and smiles we sat down on opposite couches but he was surprised about the cat on my lap. The cameraman counted down manually from five to one and with the raise of his thumb the interview begun. As usual he read out the introduction first and turned to me. "Madam Vice President, thank you for your time today despite the weather. I'm sorry for your recent loss."

"Thank you Anderson." I said, trying to hold back my tears. "It's my pleasure to talk to the American people."

"So, you know that the election is coming soon. What is your thoughts about this?"

"I felt proud in serving the President who always trying to help the American people. Even though we experienced turbulent times President Reagan always has the welfare of his people in his head."

"What was he like? As a President?"

"The President is a nice person deep down, even though he appeared strict and formal in public. He is an easy going man to be honest Anderson."

"Based on our sources from the White House you're quite reluctant in joining for reelection. Is this real?"

"I was, I admit. Because of my relationship with the President, even though I'm fine with being Vice President again."

"Are you still reluctant?" Anderson asked.

"No. I'm ready to face whatever obstacle thrown in front of me."

"People are still talking about the leak in the Intelligence Community even though months has passed. What is your response when you're informed about the leak?"

"I was really furious when I heard about the breach, same goes to the President."

"There is really one question unanswered though, were you targeted as well? 

"I'm not sure that you're ready about the truth Anderson."

"Why is that?"

"I was targeted, somehow one of the three agents responsible for the attack ambushed me in the White House, disguised as a Secret Service agent."

"Speaking of which, the footage my crew captured. Was the woman one of them?"

"She is." 

"And you two really fought one another? I just want to confirm it again."

"Yeah, we did." this time his eyes went wide, even though he had already witnessed it first hand.

"No one has ever saw you engage in combat before Madam Vice President. My colleague Chris and Don said that you're a-"

"Badass? No worries Anderson." I smiled. "The side of my mother's family has a very tough stance on self-defense."

"Oh." he said, looking at his watch. "That brings us to the second segment you agreed to tell us." 

"Yes." Despite my family are well known public figures in public society there are still things that people aren't allowed to know.

"If you don't mind, can you tell us more about your relationship with your mother?"

"We're close. She brought me up on her own, even though my father took care of me on occasion."

"Why did you fell out with your father?" a personal question. Snowball placed her paw against my palm and I lovingly stroke her. "He was... he was emotionally distant." I said, a pang of sadness in my words. "He was an absent father. He was even more distant when he was famous, he doesn't know when I volunteered to serve, involved with the FBI, when I go to West Point, when I'm knighted. I wasn't the same after Afghan."

"What do you mean?"

"Even though he is my father by birth... he wasn't one to me."

"I'm sorry." he said, sincere in his eyes. 

"It's okay." I said. 

"Another question then. You mentioned that your grandfather was your mentor."

"He is a very tough instructor. Boys and girls alike in our family normally begin their martial arts training at the age of six, my grandfather as mentor."

"Everybody?"

"Yes, everybody."

"I see." then he looked at his watch. "If only there is enough time for another in-depth interview. Thank you Madam Vice President for your time."

"My pleasure Anderson." I replied with a smile as we shook hands.