Chapter 8 : Dangerous thoughts

Supreme Leader Han Ki Nam sat in his chair in the office of the Supreme Leader, his fingers folded and his jaw perched on it as he watched the successful launch of the latest missile his country has created. It proved it's capability through the destruction of the South Korean navy destroyer. On the TV the anchor is beaming with pride, her voice moved with patriotism as she announced the success of her Dear Leader's defense program. The West always frowned upon this, declaring it a provocation, as the Americans would say. Still bitter on the loss of the twin defectors who escaped with proof of the dealings he did with the former and now dead President of the United States. Not only that, the elder twin told the Americans about his plot to kill the current President and their intelligence unit managed to stop the assassination plot.

He was angry at himself too, for trusting the younger twin. He not only escaped with his entire family, he also downloaded the plans of the latest generation of missiles from his computer which he allowed the former general access to in an USB thumb drive, and now he is going to hand it to the Americans. Someone knocked on the door and a man entered, a few knocks later. Han lowered his handgun, a habit he tend to have ever since the defections happened. He had already murdered five people : his brother-in-law, two of his intelligence officers, his secretary and a soldier. He knows himself, a cold-blooded man by nature, and he is more than willing to take out anyone who challenged him in a useless manner when his temper wasn't right in the mood.

"Supreme Leader." Kim Moon Dae greeted. Kim is the country's most elite spy master, running a spy ring of dispensable agents around the globe, overseeing the killings of defectors disloyal to the party and the country. But Kim has his own secrets, he won't kill any vulnerable people such as women, children, the elderly and the disabled but he had to carry out the killings because he had to demonstrate his loyalty. He has family members in South Korea, which the Americans know too well about.

"I'm sure that you're aware about our recent loss." the man said. "The twins are a liability, but are assets to our enemy."

"I am aware." Kim replied coldly. "The Americans foiled your plan."

"You don't have to remind me."

"And now you want me to take them out?" Kim asked.

"I need them dead." Han said. "No mercy for the family." All right, Kim's limit is pushed to the very end. He doesn't like the thought of killing one of their own. "Is there any problem?" he asked, noting his grimace.

"No. Consider it done sir." he replied. Thoughts of defection clouded his mind when he departed from the office of the Supreme Leader. He has no family in this country, thanks to the Dear Leader. His parents were dead because of wrongful conviction. He had loathed his leader ever since but would not dare to speak up. His judgement of his leader is divided between what is true and what is false. But the order of killing one of his own people who had fled to enemy grounds for freedom? Merciless, more than he does.

Oval Office

After the meeting President Reagan and I headed to the Oval Office for a private conversation. Sitting at his desk he reads the current news, already arranged for him by Jack while I sat on the couch. "I knew about the plot." he said. I blinked in confusion. "McDonald was warned prior." McDonald, first name Damian, is the current director of the United States Secret Service and the first man we reached out when we got the news of the assassination attempt. "You and Duncan intercepted the squad in the White House, taking the bait that we purposely let word out."

"Fair enough. Still not mad about the secrets I keep?" I asked.

"You're not the only one who has secrets." he countered. "Your mother has secrets, former intelligence officer for the South Korean intelligence network, the National Intelligence Service."

"Hmph, you do know." I commented. "Member of the Intelligence Committee, am I correct sir?"

"Not all people can hide their identities well Madam Vice President."

"You're not much of a field agent sir, but you do have contact with intelligence reports. The investigation into former President Lucas Wintergreen's misdeeds."

"I did not expect Director Harkavy to keep this vital piece of evidence from the committee however."

"I already had a feeling that he had something but I didn't predict to be this." I replied. We heard a knock at the door and Jack walked in.

"Sorry sir, sorry madam." Jack said. 

"What is it?" President Reagan asked, spinning his favorite pen.

"The Russians are here." Jack announced. "They're announcing that they will end their relationship with North Korea." Hearing this President Reagan's eyes went wide, the pen dropped onto the desk, creating a clattering sound.

"You kidding me?" 

"No sir, I wasn't." he replied. 

"All right, we'll meet." the President replied, standing up. 

"One more thing, sir. They're landing soon."

"Landing?" he asked while buttoning his sleeves. "What do you mean by-" before he can finish the sound of a helicopter flying from a distance was heard.