Chapter 15 : A bad sign

"Mr. Director do we have any comment from the President?" the voice of a senior political correspondent from ABC News broke the silence in the press briefing room. Julius stood on the podium but he expressions hinted at something much more worse to come. He requested for a press briefing in the President Reagan's name which we are now watching live from my home in Number One Observatory Circle. We have at least one hour left before leaving for California and we chose to stay for the live broadcast. 

"The President, so far, has no comment on the issue of North Korean actions at the Yellow Sea but he promised that the dictator won't expect a fair treatment from now on. But I'm not just here for the President, I have evidence about something." The cameras clicked away in the background but President Reagan and I are barely on our toes. "I still have compromising evidence about the disgraced former President."

"Regarding a supposed blackmail attempt?" another White House correspondent, this time from NBC News, asked upon raising her hand. 

"No, but I have the grounds to believe that our former President has unsavory dealings with the North Korean dictator." the entire room exploded in questions as the FBI Director admitted the ugly truth. Every reporter screamed questions as well as raising their hands to be called on. With the raising of the both of his hands he calmed everyone down as almost every media outlet wasn't really a big fan of the now dead former President, minus the few outlets who tend to spew out lies after lies. His corruption case and controversial decisions such as deciding whether or not the candidates interviewing for jobs in intelligence agencies should be recruited by himself rather than through the human resources branch has caused his own party to be disillusioned and support their opposing party's ground's for impeaching the President. "I have lied under oath when I served under him, I have no interest to side with him at all. I will order the FBI to release the documents and hand in my resignation letter to President Reagan, who supports my decision to reveal the truth to the American people who deserved to know the truth."

"What truth is it? What is the former President's ties to North Korea?" a political correspondent from CNN asked upon being called.

"It's uncomfortable to say but, over the years I have access to classified documents detailing the transactions involving plutonium. He sold plutonium to our enemy for profit, this is why North Korea is rapidly developing their nuclear weapons program."

"Why isn't the truth let out early?" the correspondent pressed further. "Does the Reagan Administration has prior knowledge to this?"

"I came to the decision to tell the Americans the truth after I admitted the truth to President Reagan last night. I will tender my resignation to the President immediately but we have to deal with this crisis first, and then I will leave office." when he turned to exit the room I turned off the TV, gently tossing the remote to a vacant couch. 

"He got the truth out." President Reagan broke the silence. "If the backlash also included our defeat I am more than ready to accept it."

"This secret is really big, taking a big toll on Julius. I felt sorry for him." I added.

"But he did the right thing." Robert added. "May he find a new lease on life, he's been an honest man."

"Time to go." Jonathan stood up.

California Memorial, California

The skies remained foggy and cloudy in California as we now stood facing at the grave of President Reagan's mother whose casket is already been buried after the service. The four of us remained on site as a final farewell with the priest finishing his last prayers for the dead. Dad stood beside his father, both men trying the best to prevent each other from getting too sad while Jonathan and I found ourselves filling in the role of comforter as both men went down in tears in the end despite refraining themselves from crying. Somehow Jonathan and I were on the same side, even though we're upset but we have to make peace with mortality. Being soldiers who've witnessed friends and loved ones dying on the battlefield and has to break the news to the unfortunate family is our common point. The priest, Father Patrick, departed a few minutes later while we maintained on site for another few more minutes to say our final goodbyes. 

Then we walked towards the car, a nondescript sedan, chosen for the private occasion. But one vehicle caught my eye. The black SUV has been parked here before we arrived, with the engine still on, but it's not Secret Service. When I unlocked the door the SUV opened it's doors as well. "Something's not right." I said. 

"Yeah, me too." Jonathan suddenly said. "Sorry, been observing the vehicle when we arrived." Dad and Robert overheard our conversation and casually walked towards the side of the sedan not facing the SUV directly. "Get the guns." Even though the Secret Service has cleared the sedan of weapons Jonathan stuffed two handguns and M16 assault rifles inside just in case of emergency. 

"Get down and don't do anything." I whispered to both men. But as we opened the door the occupants of the vehicle, all men, took out weapons and opened fire, prompting us to duck down as the windows of the sedan shattered.