Chapter 12 : Threat level intensifies

Arlington, Virginia (Years ago)

After packing our things enough for a lengthy stay Director Harkavy picked me and Andy up at our apartments separately, driving us to his home in Arlington. "No one would recognize you both here." he said upon killing the engine. Director Harkavy stays in a quiet neighborhood not far from DC comprising of modest two-storey houses. He got Carey's permission to get us on board for the time being and asked someone to come along. Slinging the duffel bag over my shoulder I climbed the stairs to the porch. Director Harkavy unlocked the door with his keys and entered, flipping on the switches installed on the wall to his left hand side to turn on the lights. 

Showing us upstairs he gives us a five minute break before telling him what has happened in the elevator. Andy decided to take a shower to freshen up while I decided to stay in my room for the time being. Changing into a grey colored knit sweater and black pants I sat on the bed, recollecting my thoughts. My phone rang on the nightstand, prompting me to grab it and answer the call. "Isabella speaking." I said.

"I heard what happened Isa, you okay?" came a voice I have haven't heard for a long time.

"I'm fine Min. Don't worry about me." I replied. Min and Chan were the only guys about my involvement with the FBI and agreed to keep a lid on it. He on the other hand, joined NYPD as a rookie major crimes detective. He always said that he preferred intelligence gathering work rather than field action but keeping his training to defend himself.

"What happened to you?" he asked.

"Contact with a North Korean agent." I replied. "I think it's North Korean."

"You don't contact some guy from North Korea." he said. His short stick, not being as experienced in military talk.

"It means got attacked. Probably's the fact that you served for two years, and not going into battle at all."

"Not much a fan of military talk." he mused.

"Gotta go." I said. "Flying under the radar." Ending the call I proceeded downstairs to meet with Director Harkavy in the dining hall with Andy. We quickly noticed the presence of a mysterious man sitting at the table dressed in a business suit. "Director Harkavy." I greeted. Andy gave a quick greeting nod and we sat at the table. 

"Special Agents, I would like you two to meet Damian McDonald, the director of the United States Secret Service." he said. "Damian, this two are the analysts and agents who have uncovered the plot to assassinate the President through interrogating the North Korean defector."

"Pleasure to meet you sir." Andy was the first to greet but I just smiled in reply as I noticed him eyeing me, like he recognized me before. 

"The daughter of the famous Tony Stark." McDonald mused. "I'm glad that you walked your own path." I merely nodded. "So, what have the both of you found?"

"He wants asylum in the United States sir." Andy reported. "We have to agree his terms so that we can get this kind of intel."

"The DHS will see to it son." McDonald replied in a reluctant tone. "Based on the credibility of his story."

"The defector is a OF-9 level general. He served under Chen Sang Dok but defected." I filled in.

"What?" the director blinked. "No general has ever defected from the DPRK, not to mention such a high position in power." 

"We too had no idea why. He wouldn't talk about the reason of his defection." Andy explained. "Most defectors told the truth but he's the latest exception."

"Which makes him a really valuable asset to find out what North Korea has in store for us." I concluded. "But we have to make sure of the validity of the threat even though he told us directly."

"You shouldn't use the word 'validity' at this moment special agents." McDonald said. "This is the President's life we're talking about here, not some random target."

"I forgot to mention, Damian here, worked as a FBI analyst before." Director Harkavy said. 

"Threats like this will be investigated." the Secret Service Director said. After this the man got up on his feet and left the director's home.

"Now let's talk about what happened in the elevator." he said. "You start first Special Agent Duncan."

"Right." he said. "At eleven p.m. we're leaving the office and the elevator stopped first at ground floor level, but we're heading towards the parking basement. Then this man came in, wearing a button down and jeans but the cap seemed shady."

"Then?" the director asked.

"He was a silent one, he attacked us when the door opened at basement level." Duncan finished.

"Black Bird?" he asked me.

"I support it. We're both in the elevator, the man is tad bit skinny, having a distinctive skin tone only Asians have in common."

"Okay, that narrows it down. Why weren't you observing your target?" he then asked Duncan. 

"I caught his facial features when we fought, definitely looks Asian."

"Who would dare to kill my agents?" he asked himself. "The Chinese? The North Koreans?"

"I believe it's the North Korean theory. The man looks more like a Korean." I said. "But he's way more skinnier than an average South Korean." Harkavy nodded. He always respected the intelligence report we gathered on the hermit kingdom, even trying to persuade Carey to has us work with the task force on gathering and analyzing North Korean intelligence. The President has always been concerned about the hostile nation's threats and repeating nuclear tests. But Carey is more than eager to punch his superior in the face rather than letting go of the two top agents and analysts in the Counterintelligence Division. 

"Well, it wasn't the first time both of you have met with a North Korean." he declared. "I will secure a meeting with you two and Director Eckhart as soon as I can but you must show yourselves as analysts rather than agents. I don't want to give the DNI a heart attack."