Chapter 21 : Assault

The White House (Years ago)

"What the heck?" Ryan shouted in the dark room. "Who cut the power?"

"Ryan calm down." the DNI said. But Andy and I maintained our cool, trying to keep the confidential documents back into our briefcases and lock it. Reaching for the cuffs on my sleeve I quietly unbuttoned them. Urgent footsteps sounded outside as an explosion rocked the building. Danger flickered in my head and I nudged Andy on the arm. Leaving our chairs we reached the door and opened it. We set the door ajar so that we can see what's going on outside.

"Secret Service! Back off!" shouts were heard. "Where is the President?" hearing this we shared a worrying glance. 

"What the hell? The President's in the White House?" Andy popped the worrying words. Agents rushed past our room and one stopped at our door. 

"Doctor Reagan?" the agent asked when he saw me. I stared at him in reply.

"How did you-"

"No time to explain miss. I need to get you out of here." the agent replied. He grabbed my arm and dragged me out of the room. "I have her." he said to his radio.

"I'm not leaving them!" I protested. 

"Take her to the South Lawn, we have a civilian helicopter bound to land." a voice from his radio said. "We have to get Lone Star out of the Castle!" despite my protests the agent dragged me down the hallway. Okay, since when I became a high value personnel within the White House?  We rushed past the office of the President's Secretary when an explosion happened.

"Miss get down!" the agent shouted. But the order came too late as we're tossed towards the wall outside the room, slamming hard against it. I felt a sharp pain in my forehead when I recovered my consciousness, a stinging pain. When I looked at the agent I found him bleeding from a cut in the forehead. 

"Hey!" I called out, gently shaking him. "Are you okay?"

"I'm fine." he insisted.

"You're bleeding, I'm going to apply pressure on it." Ripping out a small portion of cloth from my shirt I folded the cloth and pressed it against the wounded agent's forehead.

"We need to get you-"

"Forget about it okay?! I don't know why the heck I'm that protected but what matters now is that we find out who did this!" I told him.

"Isabella!" Ryan's voice came from the corridor.

"I'm here!" I called out. Ryan found me at the office ruins along with the DNI and Andy, still carrying the briefcases. "He's injured. We must get him out." I told him. 

"What happened?" Ryan asked the agent.

"North Koreans." he said. "A small group of mercenaries broke into the White House."

"Where are they now?" Ryan asked. 

"They're coming to the Oval Office." the agent replied. Ryan's face turned white, literally, and turned to us. 

"Defend the West Wing agents. Nobody can get into the Oval Office." he ordered. 

"Yes sir." Andy and I said in unison. We heard shouts and gunfire after the order, all in Korean. I ripped the sleeves apart, revealing two batons I have been carrying inside while Andy took out a folded Swiss pocket knife. 

"What the heck?" Andy looked at my weapons of choice.

"No time to defend that Duncan." I replied, combining the batons to form a staff. The said team of mercs appeared, armed with assault rifles. "Andy get back!" I shouted. In a heartbeat I charged towards the mercenaries, spinning my staff 360 degrees as they fired and charged at the same time. The move worked, as bullets that make contact with the staff fell to the ground and left the mercenaries stunned. "Now!" I shouted. Using the nearby table as a jumping board I propelled myself upward and swung my staff as I landed, hitting two standing in the middle of the group. Andy however, has a gun that came out of nowhere as he fired, hitting the leader of the pack in the head. The staff broke into two as I swiped two dazed mercs off their feet, knocking them out with a punch to their solar temples. I then turned and hurled out a baton, hitting an incoming merc square in the forehead. Andy continued to shoot as he advanced, taking out three mercs and injuring two more in the shoulder. We heard gunshots and ran towards the origin. 

"FBI don't move!" he shouted.

"Secret Service!" a man shouted when we saw him. Andy fired his gun and instead of hitting the man he shot another merc who had crept up behind him. "That appears to be the last of them." he said. "Thank you." as he knelt down to check on the merc a group of agents swarmed the White House compound as a medical helicopter landed on the South Lawn. 

"We'll take it from here." the lead agent told us. Andy nodded and we hurried back to Ryan's side. Luckily for us a team of medics are already tending to the agent. 

"You've got a bruise on your forehead." he pointed out. 

"I'm fine boss." I said.