Chapter 12: Seize Your Moment

Hyogo Prefectural Qualifiers for Interhigh
Day 1

It's finally the first day of the Hyogo Prefectural Qualifiers for Interhigh. Being one of the Top 8 seeds in the prefecture, Inarizaki gets placed in the A block, separated from the other seeded schools. With over 50 schools competing for the chance to qualify for Interhigh and be one of the two schools that get to represent Hyogo, it's natural for competitive spirits to be high, afterall; everyone came here to win. Not that it matters.

Everyone's eyes are on Inarizaki.

Striding through the doors as they enter the gym, the Inarizaki team pays no mind to the surrounding people that subconsciously back away from them, giving them space. They're used to the constant attention.

"It's Inarizaki High...!"

"Oh my gosh it's the Miya twins!"

"They're so intimidatin'..."

The whispers follow them everywhere, as well as the uneasy glances of admiration and fear. Atsumu smirks to himself as he leisurely walks beside his stoic teammates, he doesn't really care for the attention, but he does enjoy the fearful looks he gets from his opponents. Anyone scared of him outside the court, can't possibly think they can defeat him on the court.

"Just another average day~" He hums to himself, making Y/N and Osamu roll their eyes at him.

"I guess every day would be the same for trash." Y/N deadpans.

"Rude! Can'tcha just be nice to me on the first day??" Atsumu complains, tired of always been bullied.

"'Kay."

"...That's it?"

"What? Bein' quiet is the entire extent of my kindness." She explains, smiling innocently up at him. He scowls in response, huffing as he crosses his arms and turns his head away childishly. Some players accidentally make eye-contact with him, instantly looking away and sweating in fear.

Atsumu's the biggest superstar in the premises.

"Who're we versin' again?"

"Itami High School." Y/N answers, holding out a sheet with all the brackets written on it. "Shouldn't you already know this? We went over it yesterday..." 'And they're literally right on the other side of the court.'

Atsumu shrugs boredly as he starts changing into his volleyball uniform, they're playing the first game in the A block. "Maybe I just forgot. Scrubs ain't worth rememberin' anyway."

'He's got such a terrible personality...' They all deadpan, used to Atsumu's conceited nature.

"Argh... what luck..."

"Can't believe we're versin' Inarizaki first... couldn't they put us in a different block?"

"Honestly, I think I'd prefer goin' against Nakiusagi Tech..."

Their coach sighs as she listens to the Itami Volleyball Club players complain about their matchup, already giving up before the game even starts. She doesn't blame them, but if they're going to be so easily disheartened, what's the point of being here?

"Can't you boys... Y'know... get fired up or somethin'? You guys are actin' like it's the end of the world..." She trails off, sighing when she realises they're not really processing her words.

"Coach, it's practically the end of the volleyball season for us, and it hasn't even started." One of the members complains.

"Guys! Don't give up so quickly!" Their captain cheers, patting some of them on the back as he beams brightly at them. "Think about it like this; we get to play Inarizaki! So many teams wish they got this opportunity! We're the lucky ones here!"