Chapter 44: Those Who Have Lost

Spring Interhigh National Tournament
Day 3 – Quarterfinals

"Inubushi East huh?" Y/N mumbles as she, Suna and Ginjima take their seats.

"They any good?" Suna asks as the second set commences.

"Eh, I would assume so?" Y/N shrugs. "Since they made it to Quarterfinals and all. But truthfully, I don't know, we never had the opportunity to play them so I never really researched."

"Hmm... They're a powerhouse like us, but obviously Itachiyama's more well-known." Ginjima says after a while, watching the match carefully. "I'm guessin' everyone's expectin' Itachiyama to win, since they're the favourites now that we're out of the running."

"True, although I think Karasuno's quickly becoming a fan favourite." Y/N chuckles. "Since they have that whole 'mysterious dark horse' vibe, the fans would love it if Karasuno ended up winnin'."

"I don't really care who wins." Suna deadpans. "I just want to go home."

"Damn, not even rooting for Karasuno? It'd look bad for us if they lost badly y'know." Ginjima chuckles.

"Well, they're going to have issues with Kamomedai." Suna sighs as he glances over to their match. "Karasuno's great at offence like us, but Kamomedai's great at both offence and defence, that's the beauty of blocking, it's very versatile."

Y/N and Ginjima watch Suna carefully as he continues.

"I've faced a number of our nation's best blockers, I've experienced their power first hand. I don't want to admit it, but Glasses-kun from Karasuno's a highly skilled blocker as well, although he's not the best." Suna mutters. "Even so, the fact remains that Hirugami is the best blocker in the tournament, and Kamomedai's blocking overall is already exceptional, I know they'd give us a lot of trouble if we ever had the chance to play them. Missed chances I guess, maybe we'll get the chance to play them next year, that'd be nice."

The three students sit in silence for a few moments, before Suna turns to them in confusion. "Why are you two so quiet?"

Y/N wipes away a non-existent tear as Ginjima places a hand on Suna's shoulder. "I'm so proud of you."

"What?"

"You generally don't talk a lot, but here you are talkin' about volleyball and blocking." Y/N says as she smiles. "And praising other players too?? Oh my! What a shock!"

Suna rolls his eyes as he smiles. "Shut up."

"Hitoshi! He's smiling! Take a picture!"

"Stop it!" Suna laughs as he pushes them away. "You guys are making a scene."

"The scene is you, Rintarou~" Y/N chuckles. "But seriously? You wanna play against Kamomedai?"

Suna pauses for a moment before he averts his eyes. "...I just think it would be interesting."

"Oh my gosh he's excited to play them." Y/N gasps as Ginjima stares at Suna in shock.

"Am I hallucinating...?"

Sighing, Suna rolls his eyes as he turns back to Itachiyama's match. "You two are overreacting. Is it so strange that I, a middle blocker, want to have a go at versing the best blocking school in the nation?"

"Yes."

"Whatever." Suna mutters. "Anyway, are we going to focus on Itachiyama's match or not?"

"He's trying to divert our attention." Y/N whispers to Ginjima as he nods.

"No I'm not." Suna deadpans. "We literally came here for the match."