Chapter 53: Synergy

"Give us a nice serve, Atsumu!"

Taking a deep breath, Atsumu concentrates as he tosses the ball into the air and sends a powerful spike serve over.

"Hmph!" Komori grunts as he receives the ball, absorbing the power as the ball gets sent to their setter. "Yamazaki!"

"Got it!"

'Yamazaki huh?' Y/N thinks to herself as she watches Itachiyama's first year setter carefully. 'Wonder how good he is...'

"He was fairly well known in middle school as a setter." Coach Kurosu says as she glances at him. "Very solid and stable, but he's not the kind to make flashy plays or take crazy risks. I did watch a few of his matches, but I didn't scout him to join Inarizaki, didn't think he'd fit."

"Ah I see." Y/N nods along as she continues watching.

Y/N watches as Yamazaki cleanly tosses to Sakusa, briefly glancing to the side for a split second as she sees Atsumu visibly get excited at the toss before Sakusa slams the ball down onto their court.

Itachiyama – Inarizaki Practise Match – First Set
Itachiyama [01 – 00] Inarizaki

"That was so clean...!" Atsumu gasps quietly as he grins. "So cool...!"

"They just ended your serve on the first one." Osamu deadpans. "Not a good look for you, Cap'n."

"Shut it! Komori's just bein' annoyin' like always!"

"Yeah, he's stealin' yer title."

"What didja say??"

"Maybe we should focus on the fact that their setter's about to serve now??" Ginjima groans as Atsumu and Osamu promptly shut up and get into receiving stances.

Tossing the ball into the air, Yamazaki jumps up as he sends his serve over.

'Ohh float serve!' Kyoku thinks to himself as he watches the ball, positioning himself with an overhand. 'Good thing I've been training with Atsumu-san all this time.'

Shifting over, Kyoku bumps the ball up as the rally begins.

"Nice receive!" "Atsumu!"

"Hup!" Atsumu sends a quick set over to Osamu as he spikes it down, only for Komori to dig it up. "AHH!"

Komori grins in response as Atsumu glares at him, moving out of the way so Yamazaki can set the ball.

"Nanase-san!"

Osamu and Suna run over and jump to block the spike as Nanase tries to avoid their block, hitting it out.

Itachiyama [01 – 01] Inarizaki

"Ahh sorry about that!" Nanase groans while Atsumu continues glaring at Komori. Noticing his glare, Komori smiles cheekily in response.

"Sending a quick set to your brother right off the bat? You're becoming predictable, Miya."

"HAH?!"

"Atsumu calm down!"

"Hmph!" Atsumu turns away and stomps over as they rotate for Ginjima's serve, glaring at the air. "Just you wait...! I'm gonna dump the ball over his head...!"

"Aren't you both in the back row at the moment? How's that going to work?" Suna deadpans.

"I'll find a way!"

Sighing to herself, Y/N glances to the side as she sees Takahama in the reserves section looking restless, fidgeting around as the other reserves sweat drop. "What is it, Takahama?"