Chapter 51: Room to Grow

"Osamu! Nice serve!"

Osamu stares boredly at their opponents as he starts mentally counting, only to space out for a few seconds and lose count, forgetting how many seconds had gone by. Sighing internally, he tosses the ball into the air as he sends it over.

"Got it!"

Bumping it up, the opposing team's setter tosses the ball as Inarizaki's blockers watch him carefully. In his peripheral vision, Takahama spots their best point getter running up to spike as he shifts his weight towards him.

Having predicted correctly, Takahama and Atsumu run over as they jump up to block the spike. Managing to shut it down.

FWEET!

The players pant tiredly as they try regulate their breathing, having finished the match.

"Whatcha thinkin'?" Coach Kurosu asks as he glances at Y/N, who's still staring at the court.

"...He shifted his weight and positioned his leg..." Y/N mutters as Coach Kurosu smirks.

"Indeed he did~"

"That's a high level play that's usually overlooked and goes unnoticed..." Y/N mutters as she sighs. "I've seen Hirugami-san do it but you'd never notice unless you were looking for it. Takahama must watch a lot of middle blockers play."

Coach Kurosu chuckles as he nods. "He's kinda like Atsumu in that sense, always lookin' for things to try out. I bet he's gonna try do Suna's spike soon enough but..."

"He's gonna snap his back." Y/N deadpans as the players line up and bow.

"Thank you for the match!"

Packing up from the practise match, Y/N sighs tiredly from the long day, she feels so young but so old at the same time. Arranging practises with college teams is also much more tiring than high school teams, but they're the best option for Inarizaki, especially when they're staying in Hyogo at the moment.

"Y/N-paisen! What didja think??" Takahama asks excitedly as runs up to her.

"I think you played well, yer really fitting in with the team." Y/N chuckles as his eyes start sparkling. "Umm... about yer footwork..."

"Oi! Takkun! Yer meant to be helpin' me put the nets away!" Atsumu calls as Takahama ignores him, irritating Atsumu. "TAKAHAMA!!!"

"Uhhh are'ya gonna help him or...?" Y/N asks as Takahama smiles cheerfully, ignoring Atsumu who's taking deep breaths in the background and trying to calm himself.

"Help who? I can't see anyone below my line of sight!"

"Wait, doesn't that include me?" Y/N deadpans as Takahama pauses and blinks a few times, trying to think.

"Nope!" He exclaims before laughing nervously and heading over to help Atsumu pack up like he's supposed to, causing Y/N to sweat drop. Instead of telling him off, Atsumu holds his tongue as he silently takes the nets down.

'Why are they like this...' Y/N thinks to herself as she sighs tiredly.

"Don't sigh, the room will get stinky." Suna says as he appears behind her.

"I'd say the same for you, but in your case it's just breathing. So stop breathing."

"Hmm... Nah." Suna shrugs lazily. "I don't like following instructions."

"I'm aware." Y/N deadpans. "Any thoughts on Takahama?"

"Kid's nice, everyone's going to be so annoyed by him and I like that." Suna comments as Y/N smirks.