11

he was just 8 years old when he suddenly was diagnosed with leukemia.

it was definitely the biggest burden in his family, but that didn't stop him from enjoy the remaining days of his life.

every morning, bright woke up extra early as he was excited to play with his best friend, win. the two were attached by the hip, following after their mothers who were practically sisters.

win had always been the jittery and hyper active kid, being younger while bright was the more tame one, being the quiet and relaxed between the two. it was the perfect definition of contrast.

after the divorce of win's parents, the young boy still remained to have a smile on his face. he didn't care of what people think of him, because of a few wise words from his father.

"what other people say doesn't define who you are a person, it's shows who they are as a whole."

it meant, what they perceive of you is what they are themselves. they think you're ugly, then they're uglier. if they think you're talentless, then they're the ones who are talentless. that's the simple meaning behind it.

"are you not going to worry about the others teasing you because uncke left you?" bright asked, stepping on a twig as he held his guitar. little win shook his head, picking up the broken pieces of wood.

"why would i care about what they say if they don't even personally know me," he spoke, his voice high and cute. he had a small lisp, adding more to his charm.

"well...you know how people are." he replied, strumming his guitar that his father had bought him. win sar next to the latter and watched as bright's fingers clipped each and everyone of the guitar strings.

definitely, bright was quite smart for his age. reaching top of his class as always, people praising him for his looks. win was never envious of his best friend.

he was always proud of his achievements despite being a weak child. he wasn't always the smartest tool in the box, however he definitely was the brightest one.

such a cheerful virus that anyone who would pass by would instantly smile at the sight if the little boy. he was always so generous and so kind towards others, even if they did bad to him.

"i want to be a vet," said bright as he looked at the neighbors dog that walked up to them. "why?" asked win as he playing with bright's guitar, remembering the chords that he thought him. "because there are so many cruel people in the world that just want to hurt animals for fun and that's just not right," he spoke, petting the dog.

win smiled as he looked at how cute his best friend was.

later that day, bright had to go to his daily check-up before his condition began to worsen.

he didn't want win to find out about this. never.

he couldn't risk breaking his heart.

"his condition is still stable but, if something ever happens like if he faints or has a nosebleed or anything, go to the doctor immediately."

win had began to excel classes as he reached the 3rd grade. always being to cheerful and was always humble about himself.

he didn't let their comments go to his head as he continued to rise to the top of his class. sure, people didn't like how cheery he was or how persistent he was, but he didn't care.

everyday after school, he would walk home with bright and he would always tell stories about their whole day. like always, it would be win blabbering and stuff while bright would listen and admire the smaller boy.