4| "Just open the fucking package already"

When we all woke up JJ and John B went to try and talk to Mrs. Lana about the compass since I found it on her husband's boat.

Kie and Pope took me with them to John B's house and we waited for them to come back.

When they got back JJ was screaming about what happened at Lana's and how the two men were there and how they assaulted Mrs. Lana.

Apparently, they kept harassing her about the compass for some reason and Pope made a few snarky comments about how it's super cheap.

"The office" John B mumbled and we all looked at him.

"My dad. My dad's office. He always kept his office locked because he was worried about his competitors stealing his Royal Merchant research" he told us as he went into the house and we followed him.

"We used to always laugh at him like he was actually gonna find it but now that he's gone, I've just kinda... I just left it as he kept it" he said as he put the key into the lock and opened the door.

"Here look, this is the original owner," he said as he put a board down on the table and they all stared at it while John B explained its story.

I wandered around the room and stopped at a picture of my mom and I furrowed my eyebrows in disbelief. Did he know her?

"Guys! Somebody's here" John B yelled which snapped me out of my trance.

I walked over to the window and saw the two men outside. John B started ordering everyone around and sent JJ to get the gun.

"John Rutledge!" One of the men screamed which made JJ sprint back into the room without the gun.

"The window!" I whisper yelled and Pope tried to open it.

"It's painted shut" JJ whispered as he tried to help him.

I pulled my car key out of my pocket and ran over to the window.

I ran it over the part that made it sealed shut. The guys started to kick the office door and yelling about the compass.

We finally managed to get the window open and they ran over to the rooster coupe. I stayed to shut the window right as the guy shot the doorknob off. I needed to make it look like we weren't there and that we didn't sneak out. An open window would be a big loose end.

I dropped to my butt underneath the ledge and I could hear them walking around inside. I wasn't scared of either one of them but I knew they could hurt John B or the others. I heard them talking to each other and I slowly stood up and looked inside the room. One of them skimmed over my face barely and I immediately dropped back down.

I heard him run out of the room and I quickly shot to my feet and sprinted across the yard and through a few more. I ran until I finally lost him then I gradually made my way back to the house carefully. Today was definitely not the best day to wear a dress but nothing I can do about it now.

I hid behind a fence for a few minutes and watched the men drive away in their truck.

I ran over to the coupe right as Kie was climbing out with tears rolling down her face.

I peeked past her and saw the dead rooster on the floor and I struggled to hold in a laugh.
It really does suck that they had to kill it but I found it amusing that that was the thing making her cry.

Like we just got attacked and you're gonna cry over a dead rooster?

We went over to John B's van and drove down the street to a place John B thinks is a clue of some kind.