7| "Go to Hell, Rafe"

The fact that the 400 million wasn't on the shipwreck was a huge defeat for us. John B took off on his own to go home while Kie and Pope had to go to work. It was just JJ and I. He asked me for help with how to work a gun and just tell him the basics. We were in his back yard with headphones on. He put a teddy bear on a tree stump and was using it as target practice. He tried to say something to me but I couldn't hear him with the headphones on.

I took them off and furrowed my eyebrows at him. He groaned as he took his headphones off as well and set them on the ground with the gun. He came over to where I was standing and stood in front of me.

"I wanna know what happened to you," he said simply and I raised my eyebrow with a smirk. I had no idea what he was talking about.

"What do you mean?" I asked with a laugh and he rolled his eyes as he grabbed my arm and pulled me down so we were sitting, "Secrets"

My smile dropped at his words and I looked off to the side. "Why would I tell you?" I asked with a shrug.

"Look, if you're gonna be a Pogue now, you need to know, we don't keep secrets. We all know everything about each other. So I wanna get to know you" he said confidently which set me back slightly. I've never had someone ask me about my issues or even care to know them.

"Well, what do you want to know exactly?" I asked as I let myself relax.

"I don't know.. the basics like favorite color or something" he said with a small laugh and I smiled at him, "lavender. You?"
"Green. Why do you hang out with us?"

"I don't understand.. what do you mean?" I asked carefully because I wasn't sure what he was trying to say.

"Layla, you're a kook. You live in figure 8 with a big ass house but you're slumming with us. We ain't got shit to offer you" he sighed and I could see the conflict in his eyes.

"I hate the whole "Kooks vs Pogues" thing so much. My mom always told me that money doesn't make you a good person. I liked to hang out on both sides of the tracks and not be labeled as either. I just wanted to be my own person I guess. When I was fourteen I got into a lot of fights and got arrested twice. Getting arrested made the Kooks all drop me then when I got out of jail super easily because my dad is rich made the Pogues think I was too kook to be hanging with them.. I've been completely by myself since then but I wanted to change I guess. I wanted to find some real friends and then I met you guys and I knew I found them" I smiled as I thought about how happy I was now. I kept my response brief and not too revealing of my past simply because I need time to get the courage to tell everyone. I looked up at him and he had a cute smile on his face. He just looked down at me for a few seconds before he slowly leaned down to kiss me but Pope came running at us while yelling and we moved away from each other quickly.

Thanks for ruining the moment Pope.

"Topper knows I sunk his boat" he breathed out with panic.

"You did what?!" I yelled as I jumped to my feet with a laugh.

He completely ignored my question and kept ranting to JJ about how he knows that Topper found out. He was scared shitless and it was insanely amusing.

"Look, man, if any Kooks come up to you and ask if you did it, you know exactly what to do. Deny the living shit out of it; Deny, deny, deny. But, just for safety, we don't go anywhere without protection" JJ told him with both his hands on Pope's shoulders. Pope nodded his head and JJ stepped away from him.

"You sunk Top's boat?" I asked. He shot his head in my direction as if he just now noticed I was even standing there. "Uh well not exactly. I mean kind of? No no, I definitely did it. I'm so screwed" he ranted and I laughed and shook my head, "Pope you'll be fine"