20| "We didn't do it.. we didn't kill her, okay!"

We'd been in Kie's car for over an hour now and I still hadn't said a word. I felt like I was stuck in a nightmare of a horror story. When my mom told me to make mistakes this wasn't how I expected it to turn out. I expected drunk nights, fun parties, good friends, relationships, and happiness but here I am covered in someone else's blood in the back of a car with my friends I'd only known for a month. I know what really happened to my mom now and I thought I was ready to handle it and that I could take care of it then move on but this put a whole new perspective into my mind.

I'd managed to be shot, raped, jumped, punched, threatened, robbed, beat by my dad, watch someone die, and find out a huge family secret that might ruin us in a span of two months.

Oh, what I'd give to go back in time and just stay in my bedroom all day and keep to myself like I used to do. It'd be boring but I wouldn't have to be so traumatized and that was enough for me.

John B explained to me that the two of us needed to go to the police station and tell them what happened on the airstrip. They need to hear the story from us instead of Ward's.

We walked up to the counter and John B held my hand to help comfort me while we tried to talk to the lady.

"This isn't a good time, kid" she barked at us as she was talking over radio with the officers.

"We know who shot the sheriff" he muttered to her and she stopped to stare at us.

"You stay put. I'll get a deputy" she told us as she ran into the back room.

"Central, three Vick. We have two suspects in our 31. John Rutledge and Layla Evans. Sixteen-year-old white male and female. John is six feet, last seen wearing board shorts and a "bad brains" t-shirt with a faded red hoodie. Layla is 5 foot four, last seen wearing, black leggings, and a "queen" t-shirt. We have possession of her backpack and John's van and there is indeed a loaded firearm as well as extra clothes and food in the bag. We believe they were going to leave the island" the man spoke over the radio and I cried when he said my name.

I'm a suspect in a murder investigation. Ward is framing us for his and Rafe's crimes.

John B gripped my hand harder and I looked up to see two police officers slowly moving toward us. We both put our bloody hands in the air as they got closer.
"We didn't do it.. we didn't kill her, okay?" I tried to reason.

"Don't... move" the male officer told us but John B grabbed my hand again and dragged me out of the building. We ran into Kie's car and yelled at her to leave as the officers were trying to get in the car. We sped off away from the station and Kie was asking us what we did.

"He's framing us" I cried out in anger and JJ pulled me into his arms. We drove to my shed in the woods since it wasn't a place they'd think to look and we camped out in the car. We watched the police cars driving all over the island in search of us.

"Yucatán, all right? I'm saying that's the only option" JJ told us and I groaned as I leaned my head back.

We decided that our best option is to take the ferry to the mainland and figure out what to do from there since they won't be looking for us there. John B and I were laying down in the car so we couldn't be seen while Pope was getting our tickets.

"Ok so um there's bad news... The ferry's closed, and there's this" he said as he handed us a piece of paper. It was a wanted poster for John and me with a $25,000 reward. We have a god damn bounty on our asses.

I looked over the paper at our descriptions and I cussed under my breath when I saw Kie's car on the poster.
"Guys? Guys!" I yelled so they'd stop fighting and listen to me.

"Your car is on here" I pointed out as I sat up and looked out of the window. A kid was pointing at our car which caused more people to come to see if it was really us. A guy was banging on the window as he yelled to the police officers that he found us. We all yelled at Pope to hurry the fuck up and get us out of there.

Apparently, he's started smoking now since he lost his scholarship and he was definitely high at the moment. He backed us into a car then into another as he tried to make room for us to drive out of the area. He drove into mailboxes as he was zigzagging down the road. While we were all freaking out at him he was just laughing and yelling in joy.

"I'm livin' my best life now," he said as he laughed and we tried to get him to stop. He slammed on the break and looked back at us.

"You two get out" he ordered us and Kie agreed with him. JJ told us they'd lead the cops away and that we need to find a place to hideout. John B was perfectly fine with running more and into the woods but I was done with this shit. I can just go to the station and explain what really happened and if they don't believe me then I'll take all the blame for John B so he doesn't get in trouble. I don't want to be on the run for the rest of my life so I may as well just try to make things right.
I grabbed JJ's shirt and pulled him to me and kissed him quickly.

"I love you. I'm sorry" I said as I got out of the car and ran in the opposite direction of where John was. I went into the woods so they wouldn't try and follow me or stop me. I ran through the woods toward the station and climbed up a big tree near the tree line. I looked out at the frontier and surveyed the area where all the cops were. I heard over the police radio that they had John B locked somewhere in a house and that they needed deputies there immediately. I panicked at the thought of John B getting arrested and I climbed down the tree. I sprinted into the street and I followed the cops to Kelce's house where there was a big crowd of people. The sheriff's hadn't gone in yet so I hid behind a car as I watched them go inside. Rafe was in the crowd and yelling to them to not show mercy. Saying they needed to kill John B for murdering Peterkin even though he damn well knows we didn't do shit. I heard Kelce tell the officer that Topper was the one guarding him inside.

I thought over what I should do next and when I realized that I really don't have anything left to lose or anything I have planned for my future I decided I needed to try and get him out of there and if that meant I had to get arrested then that's fine by me.

I ran around the crowd to the side of the house and I saw John B crawling out of a vent. I ran over to him and helped him get out. He dragged me down a few houses so we could talk quickly.

"Where the hell did you go?" He asked me as he tried to catch his breath.
"John B I'm not staying with you. I'm going off on my own now, okay? Tomorrow, when you're at the dock JJ told us to go so we could get off the island if I'm not there you need to go without me. Do not wait for me to get there. I'm gonna try a few things to hopefully help us get Ward in prison" I told him and he nodded in understanding. He pulled me into a tight hug and we stayed like that for a few seconds before we both ran off in separate directions again. I made my way back to where the big crowd was so I could see what they had planned to do next. They sent everyone to keep looking for us and nearly everyone on the island was hunting us down.