Mirio x Tamaki

"Checkmate!" Eri laughed as Mirio groaned, laying his head down in defeat.

The blonde was sat at a table in the U.A. cafeteria, with Tamaki and Eri sitting across from him, and a chess board in-between the three.

"Wow Mirio, you just lost another chess game to a six year old," Tamaki gave a rare smirk, Eri shifting in his lap, overjoyed at her victory.

Mirio's voice was muffled by the table when he spoke. "Well she only won because you helped her."

Snickering, Tamaki watched Eri jump up and run to Mirio's side, shaking him violently. Well, as violently as she could manage being so small.

"C'mon rematch! Rematch!" She exclaimed, smiling brightly when Mirio sat back up and ruffled her hair affectionately.

About to agree, his gaze happened to travel past Eri and he noticed Aizawa standing in the doorway, making his joyful expression drop by a fraction.

"Looks like it's time for you to go Eri," He said, fixing her with a sad smile and gesturing to Aizawa who was now leaning against the doorway, unphased by the mention of his name.

Upon seeing him, Eri's grin faltered slightly.

"Awww, but I wanted to play again..." She crossed her arms and pouted adorably, making Mirio laugh.

"Don't worry Eri, we can hang out again next week!" Mirio smiled at her reassuringly and shot Tamaki a discrete look over his shoulder.

Realizing he was meant to speak, Tamaki flushed from embarrassment.

"O-oh yeah," He said quietly, "It'll be okay Eri..."

Eri beamed at his words and before Tamaki could react, she was hugging him.

"See you later Tama!" She looked up at him with crimson red eyes and offered another, softer smile, making his face flush even darker from both the nickname and attention.

Pulling away, she skipped over and hugged Mirio, saying another cheerful goodbye before reluctantly joining Aizawa and finally leaving the cafeteria.

After watching the two walk away, Mirio turned to Tamaki.

"I think she really likes you."

Tamaki smiled shyly in return. "Yeah.. I think I really like her too."

There was a pause.

"So... wanna play some chess?" He gestured to the chess board still between them with a grin.

"How about we go get lunch instead? I'm a little sick of chess..." Tamaki rubbed at the back of his neck awkwardly.

Really, he'd been "a little sick of chess" three games ago, but turns out he was much too weak for Eri's sweet smile to care.

"Sounds good," Mirio responded brightly, already moving to begin cleaning up.

*****

The sun shined brightly down on Tamaki and Mirio as they walked hand in hand down the street.

Hyper aware of the attention were receiving being popular U.A. students, Tamaki fidgeted a little, anxious.

Mirio took notice and squeezed his hand reassuringly, eyes searching around and finally landing on a quaint cafe that looked perfect for a casual lunch.

He gestured to the place. "Let's eat there."

Tamaki looked grateful for the suggestion.

"Okay," He replied quietly.

His half smiling face contorted into a somewhat frown as his focus then shifted to two people who were staring, one leaning over to whisper something in the other's ear. Mirio followed Tamaki's gaze and frowned as well, quickening his—and by extension Tamaki's— pace slightly.

People who stared or whispered never bothered Mirio, but he knew how the little things could always get to Tamaki and usually tried his best to be considerate.

They made their way to the cafe and ordered food, taking a seat at a table outside under a red and white striped umbrella while they waited.

Attempting to make conversation, Mirio spoke. "So uh... what do you think we should do with Eri next week?"

Hanging out with Eri had become something of a staple in Mirio's life. It had never been some sort of grand gesture, really it'd just started happening. Each week he'd spend a few hours hanging around U.A. with Eri during the weekend, doing different things, going different places, etc.

Tamaki would join in most of the time as well. Though he never really showed it, he was rather fond of Eri, almost as much as Mirio himself to be honest.

Tamaki's soft voice brought Mirio out of his thoughts. "I'm not sure. We could take her to the park if Aizawa allows it? Or maybe another game? Anything Eri wants... except more chess, please no more chess..."

Mirio laughed infectiously, admiring the care for Eri that seeped unknowingly into Tamaki's words as he spoke.

Their food arrived and Tamaki began to eat. Mirio however continued to stare at the other boy, deep in thought, making a flush slowly creep across Tamaki's cheeks.

"W-why are you staring at me?" Tamaki stuttered as he set his food down, heart beating wildly.

"It's sweet how much you care about Eri." Mirio reached across the table to grab Tamaki's hand, intertwining it with his own.

The boy looked caught off guard for a moment, but then exhaled softly and regained his bearings.

"I guess I just see a little of myself in her, that's all," He said, smiling slightly at their conjoined hands, flush still ever present on his cheeks.

Mirio was surprised by this. But when he thought about Tamaki's more reserved and cautious demeanor, especially when they were kids, he could see how Tamaki thought he and Eri were similar.

He grinned softly. "That's super cute~"

Tamaki flushed even deeper if possible, but waved his free hand in dismissal, going back to his lunch. "Whatever you say."

Mirio spared one last glance at Tamaki before finally starting to eat his lunch as well, already excited for the next Eri adventure with the boy he cared most about in this world.