Todoroki x Deku

Four years. Todoroki has been with Midoriya for four years.

The best four years of his life by far.

They were twenty one now. Up and coming rising heroes, fresh out of school and ready to make a difference. Midoriya especially.

In fact, his boyfriend had arguably worked the hardest of them all. Long days, late nights. Anything for his dream of being number one.

Though Todoroki was proud of him, so very proud of him... this had strained their relationship more than anything had before. There were sometimes weeks on end where they'd barely see each other they were so busy.

Dating as heroes was not easy.

But there was good too. The secret nights spent together in each other's dorm rooms back in high school. The giddy kisses and the intimate touch.

Todoroki could remember the highs, the lows, and all that was in-between.

And it all factored into his decision today. Or to put it more simply, the engagement ring hidden in his bedside drawer.

He was just waiting for the perfect moment to pop the question.

'And...' The heterochromatic boy thought lightly as he fixed his tie in the mirror. 'That moment is today'

Tonight was date night, and everything was set up perfectly.

It would start with dinner, at Midoriya's favorite restaurant of course. Todoroki was sparing no expense.

Then after dinner they'd take a walk, visiting all the most beautiful places in the city. Until finally, when they were alone in the moonlight, he'd get down on one knee.

'It's going to be great' was all Todoroki could bring himself to think as he slipped the ring box into his pocket, took one last deep breath, and left their bedroom.

Meeting Midoriya in the living room, Todoroki was immediately struck by just how pretty he looked in his suit, green hair still characteristically unkempt, and wide galaxy of freckles prominent. He smiled softly, all these years and Midoriya still never failed to take his breath away.

"You look nice." Midoriya complemented, turning to him and beaming brightly. "But why are we so dressed up anyway? It's just date night."

"It's a surprise." Todoroki murmured, looking away.

"How mysterious~" Midoriya smirked. Over time he had relaxed in his personality significantly, making smug moments like this more common.

To be honest, Todoroki liked him better this way. More confident and secure, but still with some of those same adorable quirks (pun not intended) left over from their high school years.

"Ready to go?" Midoriya asked, offering his hand to Todoroki.

Todoroki simply nodded, gratefully accepting the hand and intertwining their fingers together, still very aware of the ring box rustling inside his pocket.

*****

Dinner was awkward, to say the least. He supposed he should feel lucky Midoriya simply chalked up his tenseness to the large crowd and brushed it off. Another thing he loved about the greenette. He could go on for hours and hours about something or another, and all Todoroki had to do was listen. Listen and nod and enjoy the sound of his boyfriend's voice.

While Midoriya went off about some new hero somewhere, Todoroki's mind began to wander to what he was even going to say during the proposal. He'd never been one for speeches, but wasn't that what you did during these kinds of things? He'd have to make an exception. Of course, he'd make every exception in the world for Midoriya. No questions asked.

'Don't be nervous' Todoroki reprimanded himself as they finished eating, gathered their belongings, and left the restaurant, beginning their walk around the city. 'He's going to say yes'

They'd talked about marriage before, and Midoriya had expressed many times his love for the idea. Just thinking about the way he said it with such certainty, like it wasn't a question of if but when, made Todoroki's heart swell with blind affection. He's going to say yes.

"Isn't this beautiful?" Todoroki blinked, snapping out of his thoughts.

He looked up to see Midoriya facing away from him, staring down at the river below, framed perfectly in the soft moonlight. They were on a bridge, water rushing below them, and the full moon shining above them.

He sucked in a breath of cold air, shivering a little at the way it burned his lungs. A sobering burn for a sobering moment.

This was it, right? This was his chance. And he was ready. Ready to spend the rest of his life with this boy. Ready to wake up next to him every morning and fall asleep next to him every night. Ready to get a home together, to maybe even raise children together. To love Midoriya until the day he died.

He was ready for all of it.

Todoroki slipped his hand into his pocket and fished around for the ring box, clutching it tightly once he found it. Midoriya was still facing away from him, seemingly entranced by the view.

He dropped down to one knee and positioned himself, cringing a little at the slightly painful way his leg dug into the brick texture of the bridge.

Worth it.

"Izuku." He couldn't help but smile at the oblivious way Midoriya casually turned around, his expression first confused, then purely shocked.

Before he could say anything, Todoroki spoke. "Izuku." He said again, taking a deep breath before beginning. He knew what he wanted to say, like seeing Midoriya now the words just came to him, easy as that.

"I've never been one for feelings. I've never been one to feel. My whole life I've been taught feelings were weak, that they were useless, so I shut them out. Shut them out... like I shut out my fire." He scoffed at the memory, then realized that might not be the best look for a proposal. "What I really mean to say is- you changed my life. You helped me feel. And I think I love you more than I've ever loved anyone. I want to spend the rest of my life by your side. I want to support you through anything you could possibly go through. I want to be with you forever. So, I guess what I'm trying to say is, will you marry me?"

He attempt at a smile came easy staring at Midoriya, who just blinked, completely blindsided.

Every moment there was silence, more anxiety swirled in Todoroki's chest. It settled in his gut and left a bitter taste in his mouth.

'Please say yes. Please say yes. Please say-'

Suddenly, Midoriya smiled. One of the fondest smiles Todoroki had ever seen in his life.

"Shoto. That might be the most emotion you've ever shown." He laughed softly at Todoroki's clear bewilderment and dropped down onto his knees to wrap his arms around him.

"Of course I'll marry you. I want to be with you too." He breathed in the other's ear.

Todoroki could practically hear the loving smile on his boyfriend- no, fiancé's face. And he grinned then, for perhaps one of the first times ever.

"I did hope you would say that."