10

promises

jimin unlocked the door of his apartment, on the seventh floor, the young woman standing few steps behind. her breath was short due to them climbing the decrepit stairs. the elevator was no longer operational. she forgot what time it was, she just knew it was late enough for the apartments around to be deafeningly silent. late enough for her parents to wonder if she was already asleep, if she was safe wherever she spent the night at. she fidgeted with the silver ring on her finger, waiting for the door to creep open. the nervousness almost made jimin drop his keys, before the warmth of his home reached out to them in the hall.
"welcome"

droplets fell from his damp hair, smoothly running down his radiant skin. her gaze couldn't bifurcate from his figure as he exited the small bathroom. his right hand made its way to his golden locks, before hiding into the pocket of the basketball short he wore. a genuinely sweet smile spread onto his features, and bliss rushed through her.
"i'm such a bad host, tell me i didn't make you wait for too long ! oh would you like some tea, or maybe... hot chocolate ?!" he said as he rummaged in the kitchen closets.
"no you didn't ! and i would love a hot choco, thank you" she chuckled, dipping further into the couch as she tenderly watched him bestirring himself.
jimin finally came to her, carefully holding a tray of snacks and beverages. he sat beside her, and once again, her eyes were on him. she wanted to remember all of him, all of these little moments. jimin hummed to himself as he poured warm milk in their mugs.

they talked, recalled moments shared together, laughed from time to time, talked again, exchanged significant gazes. some words didn't have to come out when the eyes were already speaking. a soothing silence filled the room, only could be heard the steady rhythm of their hearts. it was the kind of silence that made you meditate, that made you reflect on your life decisions...
at the exact same time, the similar thought crossed their minds.
"you're the best decision i've ever made jimin"
she had broken the silence first. the words escaped her mouth on their own, before her brain could even process their profound meaning. she felt incredibly relieved, vulnerable also. as she scanned the young man's face for a reaction, it seemed like jimin had ceased to breath. splinters of words hung in his mind, colliding with his own fragments of thoughts. did he hear it well ? his heart swelled up with pure happiness. butterflies danced all around him. her confession erased his insecurities, his fears, and gave him hope. the tears that were welling up in his eyes broke free. jimin felt her arms embracing him. he buried his face in the crook of her neck, listened to the things she whispered. as she thought of the right words to say, a picture on the desk opposite her caught her attention. jimin never talked about his brother, nor his tragic death. she knew it was a sensitive topic, and she truly hoped he would tell her about him someday.
   "let's go to bed, shall we ?"

that night, where their bodies and souls became one, promises had been made. wisps of smoke dissipated after the candle flame had been snuffed out, plunging the room into pitch black darkness. in these hours of certainty, the lovers drifted into the depths of unconsciousness.

note
a bit longer than usual, hope you enjoyed :)