12

deadly

"do you ever wonder what will happen when you'll be gone... like, what memories will remain. who will remember you, even years later. how much time will it take for your name to be forgotten..."
she kept on walking, unaware of the fact that he stopped in his tracks the second his thoughts bloomed into words. his gaze was elsewhere, admiring something only his eyes were condemned to see. jimin believed it was part of his punishment, and accepted his fate long time ago. however, there were days when the burden felt too heavy to carry. his chest rose and fell with his shallow breaths. the flickering lamp post light illuminated the young man's side profile, his brown orbs were gleaming. hours had passed since the sun retreated to other lands, leaving them to the night.
   "i do, sometimes... more that i could admit to be honest."
she opened her mouth again, but she didn't talk straight away, considering the fact that what she was about to say wouldn't help the state of mind he was currently sinking into.
   "everyone does jimin. there's always something that reminds us of death, everything maybe..."
he finally turned to her, but his eyes solemnly stayed on his feet. the blonde suspired as if he let out more than just a sigh, and grabbed her hands into his that felt oddly cold. despite the night that had already fallen, the temperatures outside were still clement. jimin was supposed to walk her home, at least walk her to the suburb her house was located in, but at the right moment, things were taking another turn. she felt uneasy. everything was too silent for her liking, as if the atmosphere had swiftly shifted. he stood so close, she could almost perceive his heartbeat, yet it felt like he was so far from her.
   "i think it's time for me to tell you about him. i tried to delay that moment again and again, but— there's no point in doing so and you deserve to know about the person i once cherished the most. the person i failed to protect."