31 - The Cat-like Thing

The Kade dining hall is very large, which isn't surprising, considering the size of their mansion. What is surprising however, is how all the brothers sit at least two metres away from each other on the long dark wood table. I halt by the grand double doors, and Ralphus takes a seat another several places down from the brothers. They must dislike talking during the meal, though again, that isn't in the least bit surprising considering how they treat him during sex.
     My eyes sweep towards the gleaming head of Julius Kade at the head of the table. He doesn't spare me a glance and shows no indication of knowing whatever happened last night. But was it truly a dream? I don't think so. If my gut feeling ever told me anything useful, it's that he truly kissed me. My lips lift a fraction, what does it matter anyway? We have nothing between us. It'd be a hassle if he kept looking for me at night.
      A sharp rap echoes through the chamber. The sun glares at me from beneath his eyelids, "Well, what are you waiting for?"
     What? Do they expect me to serve or something?
     The sun clicks his tongue and jerks his head towards the door.
     I snap around and push out the doors, but just about when I step out completely into the parquet flooring of the hall, Julius Kade's domineering voice rings out from behind.
     "Take a bath."
     The doors swing shut firmly behind me, and a shot of irritation bruises my heart again. Is this smell really that goddamn irritating? What are they? Hunting hounds? What did Ralphus call it again? Yes, marking possession through scent, just like a fucking animal.

     Like everything else that had happened to me today, Lilith's messenger appeared out of nowhere. I was wandering, half lost towards the side door when a white cat slipped out of thin air. It wasn't a small cat and in some sense, didn't even look like a cat at all, but the moment it opened it's maw, a sweet "Meow" floated out. I didn't quite connect it's presence with Lilith at first, not until I noticed a small pouch hanging around it's neck. The note inside read: 
This is my messenger, he'll take you to me.
     I fight down another rising urge to laugh. I never thought Lilith's messenger would be this... this ball of fur. He looks up at me expectantly with wide amber eyes, and an unshakeable itch travels through my fingers. His fur looks so clean and soft and god, it's so fluffy, I can see the individual hairs of fluff.
     "Meoww— He yawns out.
     I can't control it anymore, I crouch down slowly and raise my hand towards it. He doesn't seem to be frightened, he just continues staring at me with his watery amber eyes. I smile and bury my hand inside the warmth fur of his head. This feeling... It's so warm and fuzzy and real. My lips part wider, and I stroke from his head, down his nape, along the softness of his back and back to his head again. If I did it clumsily, he doesn't show, he just closes his eyes and tilts his head higher into my hand. Is he comfortable? Does it feel good? I've only petted a street cat and that was only once, all the other times I would only watch from a distance, they were too easily spooked. Cats like chins don't they? I draw my fingers lightly through the fur under his chin. A deep, long purr vibrates from his throat as I scratch him.
     Damn, this feels nice.
     His long tail waves to and fro in the air, and his eyes are closed in deep satisfaction. Cute. My heart lightens enough to float through the roof, and a small sigh whistles through my mouth as I take my hand away from his gentle warmth. The cat bumps my hand with his furry head and trips me up with another "Meowww."
     "Take me to Lilith first, I'll pet you more when we get there, hmmm?"
     Seemingly understanding my words, he gives another low "Meow" before turning on his four adorable legs and leading me to the side door. I open the door, and we both descend into the pleasant lukewarm sun. All the irritation and frustration from before are nowhere to be seen, and my heart feels as if it's swimming in gold. When I'm freed of all this shit with the Kades, I'm going to get a cat. I really should've gotten a cat sooner, I didn't think that their healing attribute would be this great...
The ball of fur leads me back onto the main road outside the mansion, carries on forwards and completely ignores the bend in the road, instead leading me into the wild growth of trees beyond. Just a small distance through knotted branches and roots, a small worn stone path appears again out of the earth. Although the stones are covered in moss, it looks mildly well tended, and like the path to the Church, it winds and bends in and out of the endless trees.
"How much further is it?" I huff towards the white blob fumbling forwards at a faster than liberal pace.
"Meoww—
And with his treacle sweet cry, a stone structure comes into sight at the end of the path. From a distance, it's hard to distinguish exactly what it is, but upon a closer look, it's apparent that there's a stone archway growing out of the path. Beyond the arch is a small pond, and seemingly levitating on the surface of the clear water is another statue of the god in the Church. Merlow was it? This time the statue's face is pointing downwards as if he's looking at something deep within the waters, and his arms are extended in welcome. A hug?
     The cat stops before the archway and turns back to look at me. He gives a single "Meow" and jerks his head towards the crumbling stone arch as if saying "You have to go through". I remain still before the eerie abandon of the place, it's not just here, the whole Academy seems to have an uncomfortable love for stone. So much so that it's no longer beautiful, it brings a distorted tingle through the pit of my stomach. Too lonely, too isolated, too like those times sitting in the back doors of bars or staring out the stained window at those neon lights. Pink, blue, pink, blue, pink, blue, pink...
     "Meow, meow."
     A warm head nudges my knee, and the bitterness leaves unwillingly. I look down at those amber eyes, so clear I can see my reflection in its depths, and give a small half smile.
     "I guess it won't hurt just to step forward one step."
     The cat gives me an encouraging nod, and we step forwards into the archway. Immediately, there's a flash of golden light like the one in the hole, and my dark surroundings disappear completely into a void of space. For the smallest fraction of time there seems to be nothing, a space that's soul wrackingly, heart relievingly empty, but that passes in the flicker of an eye and the surroundings fill out like a painting. Green trees, green grass, that stone church dead center in the clearing.
     "So you really did take me here." I laugh quietly, looking down at the white shape at my feet.
     A small, sharp "Meow" bursts from his mouth, and he flies off over the grass, through the lych gate and beyond. I rub the nape of my neck and make my own way slowly towards the church. It would've been nice if he could spend more time with me and let me pet his soft fur more. But it can't be helped, Lilith is his master after all. I shake my head, pull open the church door and step in.
The smell of wood and incense cradles me, everything is as I remember it. The gentle morning light splashing onto the floor creates a brighter and more energetic mood, gone with the gloom is the nostalgic solitude. I wander into the center, down the aisle, in front of Merlow's onyx statue, but Lilith is still nowhere to be seen. Is he not here? But that wouldn't make any sense considering that he sent the cat. Where is the cat? I look across the dazzling floor for the white ball of fluff, but he too is nowhere to be seen. My eyes inch towards the small door in the shadows behind the columns, perhaps Lilith is upstairs petting his fur...
Damn, what am I thinking?
"Lilith," I call out, letting my voice rebound against the walls, "Where are you?"
"Sorry," His soft, velvet voice rings from the right upper corner, "I was held up by something."
He steps into the clear light of day from behind the pillars on the right. His white Soutane is as I remembered, perfectly crisp and clean, but his hair is slightly tousled and his porcelain skin is subtly flushed. He gifts me a warm, liberal smile and gestures towards the left.
"Shall we begin?"

-

AN: So the thing is, I was wondering whether you guys want some profile pics or something just to extend your imagination (but I know that some people really don't like them). Comment if you'd like some and I'll put some up. It'll be real awkward if no one comments though haha... Yeah, who am I kidding, I just want some author reader interaction. Anyway... I await any feedback.