Chapter 9 | Romulus

I was dead.

I was so going to be dead, I thought to myself again as I stared down at my mate's limp form, eyes wide. What had I done? I just had to let my wolf, Vladimir, take over, didn't I? Maybe my brothers were right...nah! I can control myself.

Probably.

Why did I have to bite her? No, why did I have to let Vladimir take control and bite her?

Like the impulsively sexy beast that I am, I decided that it would be best for her if I took her back to the hotel I was currently staying at with my two brothers. The trick would be getting there unnoticed by her fellow pack mates, then surviving my brothers. Piece of cake.

I quickly, if slightly tentatively, mind-linked my brothers.

Remus, Coinin, I need your help.

What did you do this time, Romulus, Coinin sighed.

Hey!

You didn't hurt our mate, did you, Remus demanded.

All I did was claim her, and she enjoyed it for your information. At least from the sounds she made...

I'm going to kill him Remus. I warned him, and now I'm going to kill him, Coinin growled through the link.

I blanched at that. I could actually feel the blood drain from my face as I stood there in the bathroom, holding my mate in a stall. Perhaps this wasn't the best idea.

We'll be right there, Remus sighed.

You aren't going anywhere near Leila for a long time, Remus added.

I was so dead. It was still worth it though I thought as I looked down at my beautiful mate. Hopefully she wouldn't be too mad at me.

_______

My death warrant, or my brothers, were there within ten minutes. Even with our cars, they must have sped over here. Disgust was clearly visible on each of their faces.

"Do something about your pants, will you," Coinin hissed, distaste clearly stamped across his features.

Startled, I looked down. Oh yeah.

"Here," Remus snapped, tossing a pair of jeans at my face. "Now," he continued in a dangerous tone I had never heard before. "What to do with you."

"Not now Remus," Coinin sighed.

Remus looked outraged at Coinin's response, seeming to think that he was protecting me rather than our mate. Coinin nodded towards our mate meaningfully. I watched as Remus' expression visibly softened upon seeing my mate in my arms.

"Fine." he gritted out, though he seemed to have calmed down slightly. Not that was really saying anything. "We'll deal with you later then."

I gulped as I watched his eyes flash a bright gold, his wolf, Ivan, barely held at bay. He seemed to eye her in contemplation for a moment, causing me to protectively tighten my hold on her. He smirked at that, knowing it would be worse for me now, painfully so.

Since she wasn't twenty one yet, she wouldn't feel the mate bond like I would.

It was always painful for male wolves to be separated from their mates, especially right after they had bonded. Something about it being a way to help the male wolf to want to protect his mate.

"Give her to me."

"W-what," I gulped, looking to our eldest brother for help, support, a single word.

"Give. Her. To. Me." There was a wicked glint in his eyes, though his face was otherwise expressionless. "Apparently, we can't even trust you with our mate."

I clutched her to my chest tighter now. So that would be the first part of the punishment. Separating a she-wolf from her mate after the first part of the mating wasn't painful for her - but it would be for me.

"Loosen your grip, will you," Coinin barked. "We don't need you injuring our little mate any further."

I looked to Remus, my eyes now begging him. His face was cold, pitiless.

"What are you waiting for. We haven't got all day, the movie will be ending soon," he said in a deceivingly calm voice. I knew then. It had been his idea. He was livid, hiding his rage behind a blank expression. "Now," he hissed.

I bent down, carefully lifting Leila in my arms so I could place a gentle kiss against her forehead. I wished more than ever that I would have thought before acting, even if just this once. "Here," I whispered, transferring our mate to my brother's arms.

I hoped they wouldn't keep her from me for too long. I could already feel my wolf whimpering as he went to curl up in a corner of my mind.

I know, I agreed. I miss her too.

"Go get the car," Remus hissed as he threw the keys my way. "Hurry up," he demanded as he gently stroked Leila's ebony locks away from her forehead

"But---"

"Look Romulus. We wouldn't be in this situation if you and your wolf could just learn to control yourself for once in your life."

"One job. You had one job and you managed to screw it up," Coinin muttered.

I looked at my feet as I realized that they had a point.

A point that would leave my wolf and I in pain.

And it was all our fault, my fault.

VOTE | COMMENT | LIKE | ADD | FOLLOW | SHARE

STAY SAFE | HAVE A GREAT DAY