Chapter 32 | Coinin

I wish that I could take her pain away, that I was in pain instead.  Every time I looked at her it was like a punch to the gut and I knew it was the same for my brothers.  Her friend, Leto, wasn't much better.

Leto's eyes had lost their usual mischievous sparkle, they seemed empty.  She was losing an alarming amount of weight and had stopped taking care of herself.

We weren't just worried at this point; we were scared.  She seemed so out of it, like she no longer cared about anything.

We decided to call an intervention for her, see if there was any way to make her feel better.  

"Leila," I called out to her softly as I peaked around her doorframe.

She was huddled under the covers in her bed, hair carelessly thrown into a messy bun, burrowed into the cocoon she had made for herself as she blankly stared at the wall in front of her.

After a moment, she slowly turned her head my way, eyes empty.  I shivered at how dead she looked inside.  This wasn't the Leila we knew and loved: this was a mere shadow of her.

"Mmm?"

"Can you come out?  I need to talk to you Leila."

She let out a heavy sigh and seemed to think about it for a few minutes before finally nodding slightly.  She slouched out of her bed before making her way towards me, looking up at me expectantly.

"Come on," I said quietly as I gently took her hand and pulled her behind me.

We finally made it to the sitting room where she immediately went and plopped down into a leather armchair by the fireplace, curling up into a ball as she stared up at me expectantly.

Remus and Romulus came into the room not long after and we all shared a look.

How do you want to do this, I linked the other two.  I glanced over my shoulder to make sure Leila was where I had left her, which she was.

No point in beating around the bush, right, Romulus thought

We should be careful, you can't be your usual blunt self, I warned mentally as Remus agreed.

Are we going to wait Ernouf and for her friend Leto?

We'll wait five more minutes, I decided.

What is she looking at, Remus asked as he eyed her worriedly.

Yeah, it's creeping me out, Romulus added.

Romulus!

What?  I'm not used to seeing her like this - I don't like it.

Before either Remus or I could respond, Ernouf and Leto walked in, Leto's eyes darting about as she seemed to search for her friend.  She relaxed slightly when she saw her by the fireplace before her brows furrowed.

"Leila," she called softly as she made her way towards her.

Leila didn't respond immediately, seemingly lost in thought.  "yes," she finally whispered hoarsely.

"What have you done to yourself," Leto cried when she saw the state she was in.  "That's it Leila, you can't continue like this!  Your uncle would hate to see you like this."

She mumbled something so quietly that we couldn't hear her even with our werewolf hearing.  Leto made her way over to the other matching chair across from Leila, sitting down in the green chair as she eyed Leila.  "What," Leto asked, brows scrunched in confusion.

"I said my uncle isn't here, he left me," Leila whispered, eyes tearing up.

Leto's face softened as her own eyes filled with tears.  "You know he didn't have a choice, he would never leave you willingly."

"Then why didn't he take care of himself," she demanded as my brothers and I made our way over to our respective mates.

"Leila," I said as I gently placed my hand on her shoulder, sitting on the arm of the chair.  "Leto's right, he---"

"No.  Don't."

I began to get angry, but I pushed the feeling away.  I had to be there for her, I had to be mature.  I could see that Romulus wasn't quite as successful at suppressing his rage.  His hands clenched into his fists at his sides as he glared at the floor.  Remus just looked like a kicked puppy as he rubbed the slight stubble that darkened his chin.

"Leila," I barked.  "I realize that you're in pain - that doesn't mean that you can take it out on loved ones!"

She looked like she had just been slapped as she turned to me with teary eyes.  "I see," she said stiffly.

I instantly regretted my choice of words.  "Leila," I sighed as I reached for her.

"No!  You don't---"

"Quiet woman," Romulus barked.  "Don't make us punish you," he added with a glint in his eye.

"Romulus," Remus warned quietly.

"No, I'm sick of how she has been acting, it's unacceptable.  Leila, come."

Her eyes widened as she slowly backed away.

Usually I would stop this, but she had brought it on herself.

What do you think her punishment will be?  Do you think that her mates are being understanding?

VOTE | COMMENT | LIKE | ADD | SHARE | FOLLOW

STAY SAFE | HAVE A GREAT DAY