Chapter 17 | Leila

"You look great," we gasped at the same time, then laughing. 

I went to pick a movie just as my cell rang.  "I wonder who that is.."

"No clue," Leto said as she munched away at some popcorn, pausing to take a sip of her Dr. Pepper.

"Well, there's only one way to find out," I said as I clicked respond.  "Hello, who is this," I asked not bothering to look at the caller I.D.

"Hello Leila," came a quiet voice.

"Hey uncle Anubis, what's up," I asked as I popped a few pieces of popcorn in my mouth.

"Can you come home honey?  I really need to talk to you," he said.  I furrowed my eyebrows together at that.

"Can't you just tell me now..?"

"I'd rather not," he said with a heavy sigh.  "I'd rather tell you in person."

Sure," I said slowly.  "I'll be home as soon as possible.

I hung up and turned to Leto.  "I have to go."

"Why," Leto asked.  "Everything alright?"

I nodded although I wasn't sure.  "I think so, my uncle wouldn't say."

"Well let me drive you back home."

"Sure," I replied absent-mindedly.  What could he possibly have to tell me that he couldn't tell me over the phone?

_____________________

After explaining to Leto that I had to go see my uncle immediately she offered to drive me back home.  Knowing that I was in no condition to drive even if I had my car with me, I readily accepted.

I was slightly worried about what my uncle had to say; he wasn't exactly known for being subtle or vague.  If anything, he was often painfully blunt without even realizing it.  What on earth could he have to tell me that he felt the need to tell me in person?

The ride home was quick, thankfully.  I knew that I couldn't be the best company at the moment with how I was becoming increasingly worried with every passing moment.  We spent it in silence with the radio quietly playing as Leto sped though town.

My thoughts were all jumbled together, a mess.

As soon as I arrived at the pack house I hopped out with a quickly muttered thanks thrown over my shoulder as I began zombie-shambled to the house.  Well, mansion.

Leto waited until I was safe inside before speeding off; she always did.

I stepped inside, ignoring the grandeur of the massive marble palace I called home.  I took off my shoes before continuing on.

"Uncle Anubis," I called softly.  "Uncle Anubis?  Where are you,"  I cried louder this time.  It was eerily quiet.  Where was everyone?

"In here honey!"  His voice sounded like it was coming from the recreation room, so I made my way there.

I passed the antique and new games, heading for a desk set up next to a couch.  There my uncle lay, half hidden by shadows which left his face looking haggard.

"Hey uncle," I said as I made my way over to him to give him a hug.

"Hey pumpkin," he said quietly in response as he returned my hug with an additional kiss to the cheek.

I sat down next to him on the leather sofa by the window.  The cranberry linen curtains, which matched the couch he lay on, were shut. 

"What did you want to talk about," I asked as I nervously picked at my nails.  "Everything alright?"

"I have Cancer," he blurted.

VOTE | COMMENT | LIKE | ADD | FOLLOW | SHARE

STAY SAFE | HAVE A FABULOUS DAY