chapter 2

"Were you the one that brought in Mrs Miles?" A doctor asked, coming up to me with a smile. I wish I could smile back at him but I'm too spent to even try. Nodding my head, I couldn't form any words. I've been waiting since what feels like forever. They had to move her around to get multiple scans done.

"That's good, she's right this way. If you don't mind, I would like to speak to you about her condition as we walk to her ward" the doctor said but instead of answering with words, I answered with a nod.

"I know what I'm about to say might be a shock to you. Maybe or maybe not but I want you to take it lightly and be strong for her because this is the time she'll need you the most" he was about to continue but I cut him off.

"Can you please tell me what's wrong with her. Just go straight to the point please" I whispered.

"Mrs Miles has stage 4 Leukemia" he stated.

"Leukemia? How? Stage four? Does that means she has been battling with cancer for a very long time. How did I not notice? How did I not notice my own mother in pain? How? How? How?" I just kept rambling on and on.

*******
I stared at my mother who was sleeping soundly, I guess it was due to the medications the doctor had given her. I couldn't help but observe how pale her skin really looked under the white lights. I wanted to call my father but decided against it because he was not going to help in any way, he's probably home sleeping his ass off. No matter how hard I try to picture how my "so loving father" turned into an alcoholic and drug abuser, I just couldn't . So why stress myself in the first place.

I leaned back in the chair, I couldn't stop the tears that's flowing freely from my eyes but everything the doctor said kept ringing in my head. I need to be strong for her. I promise to do anything in my power to help her out of this. I must not lose her and I won't lose her.

A knock sounded on the door and I just waited for whoever it was to come in. A part of me wished it was my father but like I said it was just a wish and not all wishes come true. A woman walked in and looked at me with pity. Fuck, this is the last thing I need. I didn't need anybody's pity.

"I was told you came here yesterday with a man, is he in any way related to you?" She asked.

"Hmm, yeah. He's my father" I stated bitterly. The word father tasted bitter in my mouth.

I guessed she sensed the bitterness in my voice "Oh, I'm sorry but why isn't he here?" She asked.

"I'll advice you go straight to the point and tell me the reason why you're here. He's a dead beat and I just want you to know that I'll be doing this on my own, like I've always been. Tell me how worse my mother's health is" I stated.

"I'm sorry to be so unprofessional but I must say you might need some sort of help. Going through this is a very scary and serious process and I'd hate for you to do this on your own" the lady said.

"I'm not alone, I have my mother here. I'm helping her get through this and she's helping me by staying alive" I said. She gave me a pitiful smile before glancing down at her clipboard.

"I stopped by to explain what leukemia is and what to expect throughout this entire process. You already know your mother is suffering from leukemia and it is based on blood cell counts and the accumulation of the leukemia cells in organs. And as you know your mother is already on the 4th stage of leukemia which is called the chronic myeloid leukemia. It has spread to her liver, her bone marrow, her blood and it is still spreading."

I came to realize that the leukemia is spreading like wildfire. The doctor can't state how long she's had the disease, but he said it doesn't look good. We need to get her started on chemotherapy as soon as possible to see if we could kill any of those cancer cells and relieve some of those symptoms. There's a doctor that will be arriving today and he's one of the best oncologist in the nation and I'm sure he'll do his best to assure a recon for her" the lady explained.

I did all I could not to break down and cry in front of her. So I just answered with a nod before she began to write some more things down on her clipboard.

"I'll let the doctor know when to get started on chemotherapy right away. How will you pay for the expenses?" The lady asked.

Yeah, the expenses. How could  I not think of it before? I don't have any choice than to work some extra hours at work or find a second and a more paying job.

"I'll find a way, okay?" I whispered. She gave me that look of pity once more and it's starting to piss me off, I don't need nobody's pity except my mother. I need her to pity me and fight her way through this and not leave me alone in this wicked world. She wrote down some things on the clipboard.

"I'll be back shortly, I need to discuss the future treatment with your doctor and seeing what we can do to help you financially" she said before walking out of the ward.

The second she was gone, I stared down at my mother. She was staring at me. A mix of pity and sorrow was on her face as she looked at me. I took a deep breath and smiled at her even tho it was forced.

"Hey ma" I smiled.

"I'm so sorry princess, I'm sorry for putting you in this position. I didn't know it was gonna get to this extent. I know you're trying but I just want you to that know either I make it out alive or the other way round, I want you to always remember that I love you and I want you to forgive your father" she spoke softly.

I just replied with a simple "okay ma" because I didn't have any strength left in me to argue about anything.

"How are we going to pay for this. You can't afford this treatment." She asked.

"Don't worry about anything, I'll figure it out for us like I always do. All I want from you is to make sure to respond to treatment the moment they start with the chemotherapy, I know it's not gonna be easy but I want you to fight. I know you're a fighter and I know you can do this. Promise me you're never going to give up" I pleaded.

"I won't" she replied.

"What's wrong with you?" I asked. She looked like she's in pain.

She grabbed her side and grimace in pain "it hurts here" she stated softly.

"Just stay there and don't move. I'll go get a nurse" I said.

I was lucky to meet with a nurse on my way out and explained how she has been clutching to her side and grimacing in pain. She nods her head before entering the room. Her eyes are immediately on my mother as she begins to do something with her IV. I'll be right back with some more pain medication. "Dr Phillip is one of the best medical oncologist in the nation. He has been dying to meet with your mother. He'll be here soon" she stated with a smile before exiting the room.

I moved closer to my mother "Everything is going to be okay" I whispered.

"I believe" she replied with a tight smile.

I know for sure that she knows her chance of surviving is 50/50 but she's still trying to stay strong for my sake and that's why she will forever be my favorite person in the world. My hero. She's my pillar of strength.

"What time are you resuming work today?" She asked.

"I won't be going to work today I called in sick".

"You look tired baby, I'm sorry I wore you out. Why don't you go home, take your bath and rest for a while before coming back to check on me. You can as well check if your father is home" she said.

"You still care about that man after everything he has put you through? Everything he put US through? Love can really be stupid sometimes" I whispered the last part.

"He's still my husband and your father and I still love him like the very first time I fell in love with him and nothing can change that.... I know the man I fell in love with is still inside that body even though it's just trapped somewhere, I know he's gonna come back someday" she smiled lazily.

The nurse walked back and handed my mother some pills and water. She gave me a small smile and I watched her for the last time before walking out of the room.

I hope y'all enjoyed this chapter. I know it was very sad. Pls don't forget to comment and vote. Thanks for reading 😊