chapter 11

My mouth dropped as tears fell from my eyes. I could no longer hear any words. All I could see was the lifeless face of my mother. I could no longer hear any words. Suddenly, a nurse appeared right in front of me. She was wearing a mask to cover the bottom position of her face. I knew she was shouting words out at me, but my focus remained on my mother.

The nurse began to softly push me towards the door as I let out scream after scream. "Mommy! Mommy, wake up. Mommy please wake up. I need you. I can't do this alone. Please I need you" I sobbed. They yelled "Clear!" and everyone moved out of the way as her body jolted from the force.

"Please ma'am, you have to leave the room" she told me. I shook my head and pushed her out of the way before running over to my mother's lifeless body.

"I need you! You promised not to give up. You promised to fight. Mum! You promised! I can't do this without you, I don't want to live a life without you, please. Just wake up for me, your little princess wants you. I need you. Mum please!"

I began to shake her. Her head just rolled as if it no longer had any meaning in the world.

As I began to notice that. I forced my legs to move and walked out of the room. My eyes remained on her as they tried to get her to wake up. I pressed my head against the glass window as I stared at her.

I don't know how long I had been waiting for some sort of news. I found myself staring off into space with the thoughts of never being able to see her, hold her or even talk to her again.

Suddenly, I felt a hand touch my shoulder. When I quickly turned around, my eyes made contact with Dr Phillip's and my heart broke into a million pieces. He was no longer smiling. He didn't have a single bit of hope anywhere on his face.

"I'm sorry, we lost her" he muttered dejectedly.

I felt numb, I didn't know what to do or say. I just stood still, it was as if my whole world just crumbled in my presence. My mother is gone, she's dead. I won't get to see her beautiful face, her sweet smile. There's no one to talk to, no one to ask for advice. No one to tell all my silly stories.

"Gina, say something" came a voice but I couldn't pinpoint whose voice it was.

"No! No! She's not! She's not! I know my mother she wouldn't do that to me! She wouldn't leave me! You didn't try hard enough, you could have saved her if you tried! She's not dead! She won't leave me!" I shouted. Tears were flowing uncontrollably from my eyes to the point where I could no longer see. My body was shaking and I could feel my veins being pulled from my body. The thoughts of her kept playing in my head. From the way she would laugh at my silly jokes to the way she always held me every single night before I went to bed. She was always there for me. She saw the best in me. She believed in me. "Why can't death just take away my father instead of my mother? She never did anything to hurt anyone. She had always wanted the best for every single person in the world. She's my number one fan."

Sliding down against the wall, I sat there on the floor. My eyes were blank and my body felt numb.

**********
It's been a week since the death of my mother, my best friend, my inspiration and the only person that cared about me, yet it felt like yesterday. I tried so hard to think of a way that could heal the open wound of my heart but only managed to come up with nothing.

I didn't know when the door opened, I didn't know when he entered. My eyes slowly looked up to see my father. He looked down at me with a sad expression on his face before sitting down right beside me. Regret and guilt was clearly written on his face. I watched as he wrapped his arms around me leaving me to weep into his shoulder.

"Why! Why does it have to be her? She haven't done anything wrong" I cried.

"I know, baby girl. Good people tend to die quickly, she's too good for this sinful world. I know it's hard. I know how you are feeling, I've been feeling the same or even worse. I know I've not been the best husband or the best father but she still stood by me. I just lost the only person that believed in me. I miss her but I'm also happy she's in a better place" he whispered.