Chapter Twenty Eight

It's the first big cross country meet of the season, and my coach invited me to cheer my teammates on. Maybe I'm not  officially on the team but they've been my back bone for the past three years of my high school career, and I want to wish them the best race possible.

Jay and I leave school early, getting food for all the racers, she's out because of a hamstring injury so we are in charge of the food.

"So what have you and Xavier been up to? Preparing for a baby and everything." I smile thinking about our new house.

"Well I bet Adrian already told you we bought a house." She nods, still clearly surprised.

Our chatter continues on from topic to topic before we arrive at the grocery store. Coach sent us the list of allergies and food restrictions and so we set off on a hunt.

"Ok, we are looking for gluten free, vegan, no red dye snacks. She said we can get other stuff but we have to label them not allergy friendly." So we go from aisle to aisle, picking up a few different energy bars, and protein bars. We also get a case or two of the mini gatorades in different colors.

"How about muffins? Those are nice to have." So we decide to grab muffins and even different types of sandwiches and salads.

I had packed a cooler from Xavier's parents, so we piled all the goods into the cooler and put some other snacks in a different bag.

We sang and danced in our seats all the way to the course. I brought my Bluetooth speaker and blanket. Everyone would meet in the middle of a field so I could bring my car up to the tent.

Once we arrived me and Jay arranged all of our stuff, I put my back seats down and threw blankets and pillows across it, then I got the food and drinks. Coach had me set everything up on a table so people could grab and go.

Honestly, it's hard. This was supposed to be my season, I had just started breaking records and I had colleges watching me closely.

I walk up to the varsity girls before their race, they give me sad smiles. "El, you know you really made this team tick, we really miss you." I smile giving them all hugs.

"Well, I want to say this, you guys are some of the strongest, hardest working people I've ever met. You all will do great things in life, so don't doubt your potential. This is your first of many last for most of you, so run it hard because in reality you won't be doing this race again with these girls. So fun your heart out."

We hug once more before the host announces their race. I waddle my way back to my car and just sit there. I lay back really processing everything.

In one moment my entire life changed.

That's it, one action completely changed my life. I will never say my baby girl was an accident, because not only the kind of mental agony that could put on her but also she wasn't.

I had willingly had sex with Xavier that night, and me and him knew full well the consequences, even if we used protection this was obviously supposed to happen. So I will never call my baby an accident.

"El, Ella? Are you alright?" I open my eyes to see my concerned coach standing there.

"Ya, I'm just processing things." She smiles sadly.

"May I join you?" I nod scooting over slightly. "Well Ella, if I'm being honest, you were bound to do great things, not just running though. Your academics are phenomenal, and your involvement is fantastic. But, you know what, I have a feeling..." I raise an eyebrow at her slightly, a feeling? What does that mean?

"You are going to do great things no matter where you go, you will be a fantastic mother, and will end up doing amazing things, just look how hard you've worked to protect your baby, and you had just turned eighteen when you found out." I nod, not really sure with where this was going exactly.

"Ella, I know people that are thirty and don't have anything to show for their hard work but no free time, their kids are raised by their grandparents in little apartments. You and Xavier are going to make fantastic parents because look at how hard you two have worked already, both working two jobs, one full time, your saving almost all your money and both of you are still attending school." I tear up slightly, she really has noticed all of my work. I thought it was just me and Xavier seeing it.

"Like it's insane how dedicated you two are at seventeen and eighteen, when most people aren't even this dedicated even when they want kids." I smile taking in every little thing she just said. Then I just blurt it out.

"We bought a house!" My coach just sits there, mouth opening like a fish out of water.

"Ho-how the hell were you able to afford that."

"We've both been saving money since we got jobs and I got access to my college fund and his parents give him his," she nods, he mouth still agape, "We also both worked two full time jobs over the summer and then when school started we started working part time at the less paying one." He eyes look like they are going to pop out of her head.

"You guys must have never had time to see eachother! Or do anything." I shrug, I explain our days off and how as of now I live with him and his family since I was kicked out in September.

"I've also been building my credit since I was fourteen, so that was good, and my full time job is at a real state office." She just shakes her head in bewilderment.

"You really have thought of everything?" I nod once more.

"Damn"

----------------------
Hey guys!! Sorry for taking so long I wasn't really sure what I wanted to do with this chapter but I like how it turned out, let me know how you feel about it by commenting and voting :)
Hope everyone is happy and healthy!

Love, MadisonMarie