02. No Push-in way

Although I played it reluctantly, I was actually very excited about this trip. Spending over six months building a way in wasn't out of the ordinary as some of us spend years on that task alone, but I was impatient by nature and this couldn't have come at a better time.

Rachel and Paul were attached at the hip, constantly touching and kissing until I genuinely gagged in disgust. There's a limit and they passed it about two minutes into the short plane ride. Despite my constant nagging and pushing them aside to have peace, they were adamant in their attempts to connect again.

It felt...odd. The way Paul looked at Rachel was both sweet and scary. I've never seen anyone have such intense love and adoring in their gaze as he had for Rachel and it was solely reserved for her. He wasn't as soft with other people and he was simply friendly with me. Their codependency had weirded me out, but gave me chills as well. I both longed for it and prayed it never comes. Love is scary as it is and to have a connection as they do is terrifying.

"I swear if we don't get there soon I'm going to lose my fucking mind." I groan into my hands, trying to cover my face.

Apparently, Paul had his truck waiting for him at the airport and we've been driving for an hour now. His hand was on her knee more than the wheel and she's been moulded into his side like a leach. It's absolutely sickening.

"Only about ten minutes or so." Rachel lets me know, smiling at my exasperated face.

The weather here is gloomy and the woods are everywhere I look. Trees blur as I lean my head on the door, sighing to myself. If this works, I'll be worthy of a place in leadership. If this works, I won't be just their naive little Val, but a woman commanding respect. I need this to work.

Before I realize it, the truck came to a stop and I paint a smile on before jumping out. The house is small and light red, surrounded by a few houses and a forest not too far ahead. Perfect place to sharpen my weapon skills!

"Look who remembered she has a home." A male voice drew my attention and I turn swiftly to match it with a face. Rachel engulfs him in a hug, greeting him with a heartfelt laugh.
Tall, dark and handsome...it seems Rachel surrounds herself with a certain type.

Unlike Paul, this guy is slightly shorter and his muscles are better defined. His tan is a little lighter and his smile so bright he could serve as a light in the dark. His hair is cropped and black, somewhat messy with a leaf stuck in his short bangs. I can't help but laugh at his dishevelled appearance and traces of mud on his left cheek and neck.

My laugh catches his attention and he raises an eyebrow in response. He doesn't say anything, although I'm sure he's dying to throw something at me. Instead, he glances at his sister who smiles at him, realizing why I'm laughing.

"You have dirt all over you and a leaf in your hair. Dude, when is the last time you took a shower?" Rachel takes a jab at him and I stifle yet another laugh, tears filling my eyes. He rolls his eyes, exchanging a quick look with Paul before raising both hands in mock surrender.

"I went for a run and fell! Sue me!" He exclaims and I take a mental note of him being a clumsy dork. A very handsome, clumsy dork.

"I'm Jacob, by the way. Rachel's brother." He outstretches his hand for me to shake and I take it, no hesitation. My cold hands are a stark contrast to his incredibly warm ones and I end up tightening my hold around his instead of letting it go. How is he so warm? Perhaps his run is the reason. Probably is.

"Valerie." I let the name slip my lips, the tone showing I was a little thrown off by his body heat. Shaking my head slightly, I release his hand and pull mine into the front pocket of my jeans awkwardly, smiling sweetly.