35. A different point of view

Embry was clueless. He knew that he couldn't allow Valerie to walk all over him if there was any chance of them working out in the long run, but he never realized how badly he hurt her with his actions. He didn't realize the impact of words spoken in anger nor that even if he is frustrated beyond belief, his insistence would only push her away in the end.

While he didn't know much about her, he knew of her independence and need to control every situation, almost pathologically. He also knew she wasn't the girl that bares her soul easily, that her past is triggering and while he could be patient about that, he sensed there was more at hand, something else she had kept from him and whatever it was, it could be lethal for their relationship.

It's already proven to be a burden on them, an important piece Embry's been missing and with her refusal to be honest, he can't help but worry more. Wolf's temperament isn't an easy one to tame and he hates how he let her down, made her question their bond and all his feelings he couldn't bury if he tried.

Loving her isn't easy, that's certain, but it doesn't mean he regrets a single moment spent with her.

"Tell her that." Jacob groaned, tired of Embry's inner monologue invading his thoughts as well. He shifted so he could explain he wouldn't be the one that's causing trouble for the pair, especially not when their imprint bond is unbreakable. No matter how hard he tried, Jacob knew he'd never compare to Embry even if she did choose him by some miracle.

"Every time I try, we only have a worse fight." Embry replies, his eyes following his paws as they trudge through the falling snow. It's almost at the point of sticking and when that happens he's aware the fight will follow, a fight he hopes won't happen at all.

"She loves you. You know that, right? Even if she doesn't say it." Jacob encouraged his cousin, showing him flashes of all the times he tried to convince Valerie to choose him but was continually rejected and reminded she wanted a friendship.

"So why is she lying to me? Why does it seem like everyone knows her secret but me? I see the way she and Edward sneak around, even Carlisle knows! She went to Volterra and I'm supposed to ignore that? How can I protect her when she refuses to give me a fair warning about whatever it is that plagues her?" Sighing, Embry shakes his head, looking up at the grey skies thought the trees with genuine concern.

"The best thing about loving a huntress is that she can protect herself, Embry. If you asked her about it calmly without wolfing out, she'd probably tell you. If it makes you feel better, she didn't share anything with me either. I'm in the dark as well."

And it did make him feel better, even if it is a little selfish and he couldn't help but think maybe he worried about Jacob too much for nothing. Perhaps it's his possessiveness and jealousy that made her reluctant to share her problems with him. Either way, he knew he would have to return to her, to clear the air and apologize as he intended earlier.

Shifting, he put on some shorts and decided on doing just that - to grovel for forgiveness and do what he expects of her - Embry had decided to be vulnerable with her.

Meanwhile, Valerie had a different problem to face, one that didn't include her broken heart or injured pride, rather a family she wanted to ignore but couldn't.

"Yes?" She answered the call reluctantly, running her forehead anxiously as she played with the idea of stating her claim on the crown her father had taken from her.

Silver women are leaders, not men, even if they are married into the family - the woman is their queen and her father had filled her spot ever since Valerie's mother was murdered in cold blood.

"A little birdie tells me you're not in Volterra. Have you failed your mission already?" Taunting her, he made it clear that he's unhappy with the news. He obviously sent someone to check on her, to make sure she was on the right track and she couldn't lie...not that she planned to lie anyway.

"I'm still on track, but my plan will not be exacted in Volterra. And once I'm done, I am coming home father and I will claim my throne even if I have to fight your for it." All but growling, her eyes narrowed as she heard him chuckle as if he didn't buy it at all.

"You think you could ever go against me? You're too weak, Valerie. You always were. It's what got your mother killed."

Slamming her phone against the wall, she ended the call efficiently as the device broke into pieces, falling to the ground.

"This is why we need Jasper." Emmett comments, earning a growl from her.

"You really are a wolf's imprint. But you'd be one hell of a newborn." Emmett notes her feral growl with a chuckle, winking at her before leaving her be, aware she might be human but she still has skills most humans don't.

Running her hands through her hair, she couldn't help the oncoming wave of anger and anxiety taking claim of her body, unrelenting and unbearable, uncontrollable and that's her worst fear - not having control and she definitely has none lately and it's driving her insane.

Scratching her forearms, her nails digging into her skin, Valerie can sense a scream bubbling inside her chest, drowning as if she's being pulled under a crashing wave in the deep water and she can't breathe, not even scratch the surface.

And just as she's sure her lungs will collapse, her world dying with her, that's when she feels the warmth envelope her, pull her up and out of the water and while she's still struggling, at least she knows she's not alone.

The panic comes and goes in waves, allowing moments of calmness in between and maybe it's because she's a little older or what she's been through, but leaning her head on his shoulder is enough for him to save her from the cold and erratic thoughts running through her mind.
It didn't take her even a second to know it's Embry, that he came back for her, holding her close to him until her tears dry out and the shaking stops. He's holding her hands tightly to stop the scratching and now he sees the wreckage he created. When they fight it feels like it's two fire fueled hurricanes, but he can't do that anymore. If she is fire, he has to be her ice, to calm her instead of increasing the damage.

"You're safe." He whispers in her ear, swallowing tears for his own cries would only upset her more and that's the last thing he wants to do.

"Thank you." She whispers too, relaxing in his arms as her panic attack subsides, remembering that even though they fight, Embry is always her safe place. Even when everything is falling apart, he's always there even if it's just in her mind. His memory kept her sane in the months spent apart and she couldn't imagine anyone ever comparing to that - to him.

"I don't mean to add fuel to the fire, but we have days before snow sticks. Be ready." Rosalie tried to be sweet and calm delivering the news, but Valerie could sense she was scared too. She didn't interact with the blonde vampire too much, but she liked her. She always gave her space, as if she knew how uncomfortable vampires make her and she respected her boundaries.

Rosalie likes Valerie as well, admiring the young girl for her ambition, her strength and unwavering faith in what she does, even if it is directed against her kind. It's hard not to respect a woman that knows what she wants, regardless if she prefers a dog's companionship.

Sharing a quick nod, Rosalie left the pair to talk and while they were exhausted and neither wanted to risk a fight, Valerie snuggled closer to Embry, whispering the most unexpected three words.

"I love you."