26. Savior

No one had to tell me I was in danger, but when I was robbed of sight and my ability to move without a warning, I knew this would mean my death.

I've always thought I'd die swinging, possibly by a Wendigo or a shapeshifter, but never like this - never without the ability to at least try and fight for my life. To be paralyzed, isolated by a dark essence in my last moments, that was the worst possible way - to be robbed of who I am.

"Your next meal?" The feminine voice continued to speak and I'd shiver if I had the right to. She sounds...ethereal, like a siren song that's meant to seduce you, lull you into a false sense of security before they take your life.

"Not exactly. Just practicing my powers for the Cullens." I could hear the smile on his lips as he spoke of those I learned to care about. What did the Cullens do to them now? I thought they were on friendly terms since the newborn army Jasper told me about.

The Volturi are planning something and if I live long enough, I will have to find a way to help them.

"Yes, well, still...She can't walk away with all she's...been exposed to." The woman is wicked, her intentions for me anything but good.

"I can take her off your hands if you'd like. I could use some practice too." That didn't sound good. With Alec, I have a fighting chance. For some God forsaken reason, I think he actually cares about me...in his own twisted way. Perhaps it's the mate connection they spoke about, or maybe he just wants to know the woman he talked to in her dreams - which I doubt, but I didn't feel I'm danger with him like I did with her, and I have yet to see her.

If Alec wanted me dead, he wouldn't have told me to run before this woman arrived. He would have killed me the moment I arrived. Or even before that.

He wanted me to be alive. Perhaps, he needed me alive. Embry once said if I die, he'd die too. Maybe it's the same for vampires.

"Not needed, sister. Go, find someone else to play with. She is mine." Alec's usual vanity and playfulness is gone and I don't have to see to know he's baring his teeth.

"Do you really want to fight me, brother? Over a lowly tourist?"

I wanted to panic, to fight the paralyzing magic that took over my body, to at least find a way to see what is happening before me - is Alec going to save me? Is that woman really his sister? Perhaps it's a vampire thing, like the Cullens?

"I will fight for what is mine and this lowly tourist is my toy for now. She will die when I decide I am done with her. Not a moment sooner."

Okay, maybe not my savior, but I'll try my luck with him. Better the devil you know...

With my next breath, I felt the darkness leave my body and my muscles lost the tension that kept them on place. Blinking my eyes open, I tried to clear the mist as I felt a pair of strong arms encase me.

These arms are cold, colder than anything I've ever known. And they are hard as marble stones, but they aren't uncomfortable...they're safe.

"Are you alright?" Alec...it's him again. I would know his voice in any darkness and the thought of the closeness we've built in those eerie dreams makes me feel scared. How could I not be scared when he had tried to kill me in the first few dreams? Wasn't he the one saying the wolves won't be on time to save me? That I would be his prey?

Who are you Alec? Because when I open my eyes and see your red eyes looking back at me, your lips inches away from my parted ones and the tip of his cold nose brushing mine...I don't know if you're my killer or my savior.

"You can let go of me now." I manage to whisper, knowing fighting his arms would only hurt me. He's too strong for me. I have to think logically here.

"Oh." He licked his lips, his hold relenting as he moved away slowly, achingly slow.

"Didn't want you to fall and hit your head." Alec excused and if I didn't know better, I'd think he's just a cute, kind guy with a crush. But this? This is likely a possessive vampire who wants to play games. A vampire who feeds on humans can never fall in love with one. Her fate would be sealed for he'd succumb to the thirst eventually.

"Hitting my head isn't a preferable way for me to die? What exactly have you planned for my death?" I huffed taking a step back, baiting him. I need answers, now.

Smirking, Alec shakes his head before raising his left eyebrow. Most vampires don't have any facial expressions, why is he trying so hard? Does he want to impress me?

"No. Definitely not the right way. However, it was good to see you my little huntress. And since I'm in such a good mood, I'll give you advice. Good advice." He adds, pursing his lips together and he's all work, no longer playful like I'm used to.

"Go back to Forks. Warn the Cullens. Tell them a war is coming and they need to be prepared."

My heart jumped, I'm sure he could hear it. War? Why is he telling me this? Why would he go out of his way to tell me this?!

"And I'm supposed to believe you?" I sass back, holding my breath as he reappears before me, his cold palm gently cupping my face. He's treating me like a butterfly, like I'm fragile.

"You can't kill us. You will die trying and so will your friends if you don't warn them." He's searching my eyes, his lips remain parted as I hesitantly inch closer.

"Why are you helping me?"

Alec brushes his nose against the tip of mine, sending chills down my spine. "Because you're my mate. Even if someone else had claimed your heart before me."

Speechless, I felt my bottom lip trembling, betraying me. I feel the connection between us, but the animosity I've always felt toward vampires would always stand in the way.

Embry will always stand in the way.

"Stay safe, my little huntress. I'll see you again."

And by the time it takes for a human like me to blink, Alec was gone and I knew what I had to do.

La Push, Forks, here I come.