19. An Unwelcome Surprise

"Wake up." Rachel whispered, her hands already working on pulling off my blanket, the warmth I was engulfed with being taken away. It's been years since I felt comfortable and safe enough to sleep as soundly as I have the night before and I definitely wasn't ready for it to be over.

"Lemme sleep." I mumble, my mind half in shambles from the conversation we had last night, my body exhausted from chronic stress I've been under.

"I would, but Embry is coming over in a few to take you out for that date and I'm sure you'd rather he sees you dressed up than a mess you are at the moment." Rachel giggled once I opened my eyes wide, narrowing them right after. I've asked him for a proper date where we could be candid with one another, but I've never expected him to just show up the next day without a warning.

"If he loves me he will let me sleep." I groan, hiding my face in the pillow, my heart already awake as it sets itself up on a faster pace. Every beat of my heart is pounding in my head, every butterfly in my stomach making me sick. My face is burning, my entire body tingling and I know I wouldn't be able to fall asleep now even if I wanted to.

"Get up, lazy bummmmm! It's past noon anyway!"

"I'm up!" I exclaim, ready to head to the bathroom. Legs feel heavy and shaky and my body isn't ready to bear its own weight, but I have to get ready. Embry isn't just some guy, I can't stand him up. I can, but I don't want to.

"You look fresh." Jacob commented, casually glancing my way as if he's trying to be incospicuous. It's not working. He is fidgeting with the remote, his leg is bouncing and his eyes flicker back and forth between the television and my frame way too fast for it to be undetected. I can tell he's nervous and curious and very much unwilling to admit to either of that.

"Yeah. Actually, um, Embry is coming over." I tried to play it down, to cover up the real reason why he'll be here in probably another dress shirt like the last time. Unlike before, I'm not doing this because I need Jacob on my hook for the future nor about my plans, it's because I care about him...too much to say out loud.

"Oh." He doesn't say much more, feeling my heart sink in my chest. His lips are set in a firm line, his eyes solely based on the screen now. He's not interested in speaking to me any longer.

Leaning back on the counter, I look out the window with my own nerves kicking in. Rachel was quick to leave the house while I was still on the shower. I had no formal pep talks from my best friend to lean on. Tapping my foot, I sink my teeth into the soft flesh of my bottom lip, feeling my heart getting ready to explode. This time is different. The first time around, I've been cagey and Embry didn't know who I am. It wasn't real, but now it is and I can't help but feel inadequate. I'm not good with romance and I'm even worse at being a flirt.

"Will you calm down? Your heartbeat is louder than the TV!" Jacob's loud tone had startled me, only increasing the speed of my poor, tortured heart.

"I can't really control it, Jake, but since I'm such a bother I'll go." I head for the door, ignoring his faint call for me to stop. I can understand why he's moody, but if I could watch him with Bella the past few weeks and say nothing, he should give me the same treatment. He might not be happy or supportive, but the least he can do is stop making it hard on me.

"Wow, that's good timing." Embry's smile is palpable in his voice, his happiness radiating, infectious.

"I am a trained hunter, remember? Timing is a must!" I exclaim, surprised by my own lighter tone as I face him, undeniably enthusiastic about this date now.

"In that case, shall we?" Embry bowed ceremoniously, outstretching a hand for me to take and I do take it, not thinking about it.

"You decided on fancy clothes again?" I note, unable to deny he looks incredibly handsome.