37. Unlikable

"Are you why he's been sneaking around for the past year?" Oh, this woman wastes no time in asserting her dominance in a situation out of her control. She's sizing me up, looking for any plausible reason to hate me from the get go, her scrutiny unwavering as her eyes remain on me with high intensity.

Lucky for Embry, I've got worse family to deal with and while I'm not overjoyed with his mother already despising me, I'm not going to make this unnecessarily difficult. For Embry's sake.

"My name is Valerie and I can't say my hands are clean concerning that, however, I've always been under the impression Embry was allowed outside. He's eighteen now, isn't he?" And yeah, I might have lied. I'm not exactly the type mother's like or choose for their sons. I'm the anti-wife material as far as they're concerned.

Her flared nostrils are a sign of her anger, no longer directed at Embry alone but me as well. I feel his hand brush mine, and I'm unsure if it's meant as a comforting touch or a warning to be nice.

"While he's under my roof, he will always need my permission first and I'm not too happy about him dating an older girl." Crossing her arms over her chest, she straightens her back to appear taller than she is...not that she needs to, she's taller than me anyway. But I'm not easily intimidated.

"Older? I'm barely legal and as for dating me? I'm in love with Embry and I plan on being with him for the rest of my life. I'm grateful you birthed and raised such an amazing man, but I won't be a punching bag. You're free to dislike me, but I'm not leaving him just because you don't find me appealing." Pressing my lips together, I exhale through my nose and turn away from her and her gaping mouth, long enough to peck Embry's cheek.

"I'm sorry. I'll be over at Emily's." Faking a smile for his benefit, I nod curtly to his mother before excusing myself from a situation I could only make worse.

She might be his mother, but I owe nothing to those who judge me off the bat and decide I'm unworthy of basic human respect. But then again, my heart is pounding and my eyes are filled with tears and a strangled breath is struggling to pass my lips as I leave the house and start walking in strides, hoping to get further away so Embry doesn't hear when me when I cry.

I feel weak, like I've failed and yet I'm proud I didn't let her push me around. I have enough of that back home. But it's truly a horrible feeling to be found so unlikable by a woman who gave birth to your soulmate. Whenever I imagined meeting his mother, I always hoped I'd find a kind woman with a big heart and motherly love she'd spare for me too. I hoped to find a mother in her, to have what I've been missing my whole life and I never once expected I'd end up rushing out of the house in tears.

Once among the trees, I bend over, my palms grasping my knees as I drag a few shuddered, sharp breaths between shaky sobs that wracked my chest. Tears fall with no restraint, meeting the ground in a seemingly endless stream.

"Are you okay?"

Shit. I never wanted someone to see me like this. I pride myself on being strong and yet I'm falling apart with no one but a stranger - oh...

"Leah?" I manage to mumble, standing straight as I rub the tears out my eyes, hoping to see more clearly.

"No, sweetheart, it's Emily." She corrects me with arms wide open without judgement and for the first time ever, I find myself rushing to hug this woman. She's a caretaker, not just for the pack but their imprints too and while I'm sure it's not fair toward her, I can't help but embrace the love she gives.

Once in her arms, I let out a heavy sigh, drawing strength from this incredible woman who so clearly belonged in this world while I always struggled with the idea of it all. I've dedicated myself because of my mother, but if a woman so strong could have died so easily, do I stand a chance?

Truth be told, I don't expect to live the battle. When it's a said and done, even if there's no battle at all, I know Alex won't let me walk away without consequences and if I have to sacrifice myself for Embry, I will. In the end, he's the one and he always has been.

"Embry's mom hates me and I'm not too find of her either." I mumble into her shoulder, hearing her chuckle with my words.

"No one in Sam's family likes me either. They always thought he'd be with Leah and now? I'm the other woman who broke them up and inserted herself in his life and some think I hexed him into loving me."

Blinking in surprise, I chuckle too, realizing things may not seem as bleak as they do for Emily. But they're thriving regardless of that. Sam still loves her.

"Any chance Embry might ignore her hate then?" I sniffle, feeling a bit lighter than before, and very grateful for Emily's kindness.

"I'd say your odds are at a hundred percent. He loves you unconditionally and his mother isn't the most reasonable woman. If she were, he'd know who his father is." Emily reminds me of that little fact and I can't help but wonder what chaos would ensue if Embry would find out the truth. It would be easy, just a few DNK samples sent to the lab. However, I'm not sure he'd want to know.

"Thanks for...all of it." Biting my lower lip, I look back reluctantly, finding Embry approaching slowly with a steady pace and a stern look upon his face. It doesn't seem promising, but when our eyes meet a smile on his lips ease my mind ever so slightly.

"You've been crying?" Is the first thing he notices, looking at me with an inkling of worry in his brown eyes and his hands find their place on my hips right away.

"I'm fine. Just needed to blow off some steam and Emily helped me." I glance at the woman who smiles at us with her usual sweetness, waving us goodbye as she leaves us to our own devices.

"Are you really fine? Because I'm so sorry she acted like that and I don't care what she thinks." And I can tell he means it, but I care. It's important to me. Either way, knowing I have his support regardless what happens is enough for me to relax and put on a real smile before leaning into his tall frame, pecking his neck.

"I'm fine as long as you're with me. I promise." However, we couldn't stay in the woods forever, especially not when the white snow began to fall. Embry may be warm, but he can't replace a furnace.

"It's sticking." I say, barely above a whisper as I realize what it means. We're close enough to Emily's home to spot Sam who had come out as well, his own worries reflecting ours.

Despite all the fear and all the pain of the past, I take a deep breath and turn to Embry with a sad, yet hopeful smile.

"If this is our last night, I want to spend it with you."