25. The alley

Have you ever felt like you're not alone? Like every move you make is somehow seen, judged, from the darkness you can't seem to fathom. It's as if you're haunted, but the ghost never shows itself.

That's how I feel.

The moment that plane landed, my life didn't feel mine anymore. Exploring the city was easy, too easy considering how small it is and how incredibly friendly the townsfolk are. It didn't take me long to locate the fortress, a castle high up behind the city walls, just as Bella had described.

It's where he resides, but I know he's wherever I am. It would be foolish of me to expect otherwise, as if my life hasn't been in jeopardy since the moment we shared that first dream.

Perhaps, if I hadn't known Embry or felt his warm embrace, I could get adjusted to the coldness of a Volturi. But even then, the burgundy that swirls in his eyes is enough to tell me exactly who he is and what I'd have to become for the thought to be reality.

I could never be with Alec, a coldblooded murderer, a vampire, the very thing I hunt for a living. I made an oath and I already broke it once for a pack of wolves and a vegetarian vampire clan...vegetarian for now.

Instead of searching for him, I decided to let Alec find me. If I go in blind, the entire Volturi would want a piece of me, but Alec might think twice before killing me...his mate. If it's true, he would want to try to convince me to be a vampire...my worst nightmare.

Would he even give me a choice?

It's certainly a risk, one I'm willing to take.

So yes, I'm leaning against the cold, brick wall, my left hand tucked inside my leather jacket and the right one holding a cone to my lips as I munch on ice cream, waiting patiently for him to show. He's had enough time to watch me, five days to be exact. Since he clearly decided to leave my dreams alone, the next target was my reality.

And I was ready.

Okay, ready might be an overstatement considering my bouncy leg and continuous lip chewing that will lead to chapped, dry skin if I don't stop it, but how can I? The ice cream was there to help ease my anxiety and once it was gone, my lips were next in line.

How does one get ready to meet their murderous, dreams invading, coldblooded vampire mate?

And worst of all, the wait had me on edge. Most people who have faced death will always tell you it was it waiting for inevitable to come that had messed with their heads more than the actual prospect of dying. It's certainly true for me.

But then I realized...it's a sunny day! He can't show his face in the sun!

Not thinking at all, I let my legs carry me to the nearest ally. While I know it's not my best idea, at least I didn't take a one way ally. I had an exit, should he see fit I use it.

"So you did want to meet me?" I heard his voice moments upon entering the ally, the softness of it chilling.

I want to turn around and face him, to finally see the man behind the red eyes and let the fear end. Yet something tells me I'm in over my head. Jasper said they were designed to lure their victims in by their appearance and smell. I'm afraid to face him for he might use the same on me. I am not ready to be his victim.

"What do you want from me Alec?" I swallow thickly, aware he can hear my speedy heart and even the slightest crack and tremble in my voice. I'm sure he enjoys it, the control, the overpowering feeling he gets when he sees how fragile I am in comparison to him.

"For starters..." He trails off, his voice oddly distant.

"I'd like you to turn around." I flinch as his voice grows louder, not by him raising it but by the distance lessening between us. It's as if he's standing right behind me, his breath tickling my neck. But he's a vampire and they don't breathe.

"You forgot the magic word." I press my lips together, hoping to stop them from trembling, from betraying the effect he has on me. Fear, curiosity, anger yet a sense of belonging. But most of all confusion. And I hate it. I hate every doubt his presence has implanted in my mind, especially the doubts hiding in my heart.

God, I never missed Embry more.

"Magic word?" I could feel the smirk in his voice without seeing it. He knew what I was aiming for and he doesn't strike me as someone who says 'Please'.

"How about we skip the pleasantries and I just give you my word you will leave this meet alive?" Tempting...his offer is tempting and I'd be crazy not to accept.

Unfortunately I am...I am crazy.

Turning on my heel, I cross my arms over my chest to stop myself from letting twitching fingers anywhere near him.

"How about I let you leave alive? I am a hunter, remember?" His lips curl with my words, his left eyebrow raising in surprise. Alec definitely didn't expect my sass.

"Hardly, my little huntress." Alec raises a hand, delicately brushing a lock of my hair before the tip of his index finger found a place at my chin.

"How could I ever forget?" He cocks his head to the left, his eyes turning into burning flames as he looks at me with blazing desire. Embry always looked at me with longing, with shimmering passion and kindness, a safe kind of warmth I could embrace, but Alec? This was pure wildfire taking over my soul for his gaze burns with intensity.

"And as much as I'd love to keep this going, you have to leave." Alec's fingers grip my chin, still gentle but with urgency. His eyes flicker to my lips and I know it would be wrong, but I feel captivated. Images of Embry come to mind and I can't help but shut my eyes to focus on the fleeting moment of his face, a dear reminder of why I cannot let Alec any closer.

"Leave?" I open my eyes again, biting my lower lip nervously, wondering what's the rush.

"We won't be alone for long. Go!" Raising his voice had startled me out of the trance his presence imposed on me, feeling my heart jump before racing as if it's aware of the danger coming closer.

"Alec -", I manage to whisper, but before I can finish my thought, Alec's eyes widen and I know...

"Well, well, well...Who do we have here?"

We're not alone anymore.