27. Almost there

Have you ever memorized someone by their scent? By the way their skin felt under your fingertips? By the emotions they evoked with every smile, look, or word sent your way? Have you ever missed someone so deeply you could remember the way they walk better than their face?

I can't remember much of La Push or the people I knew in the short time I had spent there, but I remember the warmth he provided even without touching me. I remember the way he'd smile and my heart would stop, threatening to burst. I remember the strong smell of pine trees and sea salt and I remember feeling safe. He felt like home more than the house my family resides in.

Embry Call is all I could think about as Alec sent me back home. By the time I had reached my room, Alec made sure I had packed bags and a ticket to go back, along with a fake passport and a single note.

'They can't track you if you use this. Until we meet again, my little huntress.'

They? My family or his? Doesn't really matter now.

It felt odd leaving Volterra without completing my mission or knowing more about Alec and his intentions concerning me. Like a puzzle left unfinished, it irked me in the worst way possible, yet I knew this would be more important. Cullens needed a warning and as such, a chance to visit Embry would be a great reward for my efforts...

It occurred to me I never truly thanked Alec, but then again, his family is why all of this is necessary. Those bloodthirsty animals want to start a war, and while he could have told me more, I can't expect him to turn on his own family more than he already did.

Why did he do it? Was it for me? Am I that important to him or am I fooled by his charms?

I won't know for sure for a while. At this point, all I care about is the familiar woods flashing by my car window in a blur. These trees hide many secrets, from the simple nature down to the supernatural creatures - an entire existence hidden from human who rarely look up from their phones to truly see what is around them. Magic they read about in books or watch in their silly little shows and movies is right there, just under their nose and if they spent just a little less time denying anything but social media exists, they would find a whole new world of wonder.

My skin is itching for Embry's touch, longing to feel his warm embrace. I want nothing more than to see him again, yet again, I'm not heading to see him first.

Soon enough, the glass house hidden on the edge of Forks comes into view, the beauty it bears untouched. It feels scarily quiet, calm and unexpectedly vacant for a clan of vampires who had recently welcomed a child into their home. I wasn't around to see the baby more than once, even then it was a fleeting glance. I wondered how she changed in the past months I was away.

I stood by my car, staring at the front door, trying to form a speech inside my head on what I should say and what I should keep for myself, but the vacant looking home was just a front, I soon realized that.

"They're all gone. All of them." Gasping, I turned to look at the woman speaking, my heart beating fast with the sudden appearance.

"Leah!" I couldn't contain my smile as it widened across my face, wishing I could hug her but knowing she might not feel the same way.

"Why have you come here? Now when they are both doing better? Want to mess with their heads some more?" She crossed her arms over her chest, her scowl giving me an exact idea how she feels about me. I couldn't hold it against her, not after all the secrets I kept.

"I come with news of war. Volturi have plans to kill the Cullens and I have a feeling they won't stop there." She eyes me carefully, her eyebrows furrowed as her lips press together and her attitude changes, slightly, but not enough for me to relax.

"Alice had a vision. We know. You can go now if that's all you had to say." Scoffing, I shake my head and bite my lip, contemplating if I should bare my teeth as well or let her attack me. Words hurt too, especially from those we care for. Leah and I barely knew each other but I care about the whole pack, every single wolf is important to Embry and by extension, they are important to me.

"Well, too bad. If you expect me to leave, you're going to be disappointed. Leaving wasn't my choice and as far as I'm concerned, staying here would have been a better life than my family could ever offer. Maybe you can't relate because you grew up in a loving home with a lot of friends and a man you loved, but I didn't have the same luxury." Leah flinches as I snapped at her, her eyes remaining narrowed at me just as her stance is rigid. She doesn't say anything back, simply staring at me like I'm a Rubik's cube she can't understand.

Rolling my eyes, I open the car door, deciding to find my own way to La Push...to him. I don't need help from anyone and I certainly don't need permission.

"He's on patrol now." She speaks up, her tone stern and her voice strained as if speaking to me feels like going against her nature. Can't blame her. I mean, I did come here once to find her kind and kill them all, but I thought we moved past that.

"The rest of the bloodsu...Cullens have gone to find help. First of them should return in a few days."

"Jasper?" I question, wanting to hear about my possibly only real friend among the Cullens.

"Gone with Alice. They bailed when the vision showed them all dead." Leah's sassy tone was back and I shake my head, running a hand through my hair.

"He wouldn't. Jasper's not like that." I excuse, unable to wrap my head around this. Jasper isn't a coward who runs away from conflict. He's a brave soldier who would fight for his family. He wouldn't just disappear when they need him the most.

"He sure proved he is."

Tired of Leah and the clear dislike for both Jasper and me, I send her a small wave before getting back in my car and driving to La Push. If Embry isn't there, Jacob and Rachel might be.