20. Every family has issues

Eyes wide, my legs move on their own accord. I can't stand by and watch him do this.

"Valerie?!" My father turns, his eyes shedding some of the darkness that had consumed him. His hand shakes, just for a moment, just enough for me to see. His hands never shake. Never.

"What the hell are you guys doing here?!" I whisper shout, approaching them valiantly and I'm painfully aware of multiple sets of eyes that have focused on the family reunion no one expected to see. I wonder what they'll think of me now. I was already on thin ice, but now? They'll hate me. The damage can't be undone.

"Me?! What about you? Why didn't you check in? I thought you were dead!" His roaring shouts make me flinch, the sudden harshness in his voice overshadowing the worry he showed in a split second - the first time he's ever shown any worry for me since mom had died.

"Val." Embry's voice is distant, but I hear him calling for me. I know he's hoping I'd walk back to him, back to where I'd be safe and loved and warm once again, but I can't face him and I can't walk away from my family. Every family has its issues and mine has always been an unorthodox one. It's not the first nor last time I've endured my father's rage, especially during training...training I had forgotten all about once I met the wolves.

"You're right, I've messed up. Okay?!" The defensive tone isn't serving me any good, not when my father had all but growled as he turned his gun from Jacob to me.

"What happened?!" He's gritting his teeth, his eyes cold and unforgiving. Does he plan on doing this? Will he hurt me? His own daughter?

In all honesty, I wouldn't put it past him.

"Dad, don't." Blair, my brother, emerges from behind the house, his gun raised at my father in a poor attempt to bluff the man into lowering his weapon. If I knew he was bluffing, so did father....no...He's not my father anymore. Not if he's willing to pull a gun at me.

"Let these people go. They're just humans, collateral damage, okay? The supernatural I found was a vampire named Victoria and she's dead now." I lie through my teeth, remembering Bella's short story about the vampire who wanted her dead for quite a time.

"Fine. If I let them go, you're coming with me." Staring blankly at the serious expression on his face, I know I have no choice but comply.

"She's not going anywhere with you." Embry's behind me, I can feel him vibrating as his heat rolls off him in waves. He's barely containing himself and Jacob isn't doing much better. If they have any chance of keeping up the pretense I've smeared my father's eyes with, they can't turn now - not when they're all watching.

Turning to meet his eyes, I smile softly as the chocolate orbs I've come to dream of set my worries aside. It's like a security blanket, always there to comfort and warm me, even in the darkest, coldest days. I place my hand on his face, cupping it gently, just enough so he feels my touch and so he knows I'm alright. It will calm the wolf inside. Jasper once told me that.

"It was a pleasure knowing you." I feel my lips quiver involuntarily, so I press them together before glancing over my shoulder to see Jake. "Both of you," I add, sniffling as tears start to fill my eyes. After weeks of doubting, I've finally become certain of my feelings for them both, and I'm losing it all before we have a proper chance to evolve.

I'll miss him...them...not just Embry and Jacob and Rachel, but every wolf, Emily, Jasper. I had hoped to see him again as well. Not if I want to keep him safe...all of them.

"Listen to me very carefully, Embry Call." I lick my lips, sniffling once again in a desperate attempt to speak sternly and without breaking. "You will forget me. All about me. Start to finish. You will meet someone new, someone less complicated. You will fall madly in love and have an epic romance." I chuckle sadly, both happy about the prospect of him having someone who will love him, listen to him, keep a smile on his face, but also sad for I can never be her. And I'm so freaking jealous of whoever he finds.

"You won't look for me after tonight. I'll be fine, alright? I'm going to be better than fine..." Smiling widely once more, I close my eyes shut just to feel him close once more. Standing on my tiptoes, I press a chaste kiss upon his lips, not nearly long enough for him to know how I truly feel about him, but enough for him to know I'll never forget him.

"Goodbye." Stepping back, I raise my hands and lift my chin up. I won't let them intimidate me any longer. With a gun to my head, held by the man who had fathered me, I walk away from the real family I've come to know - the family I've chosen for myself instead of the one I've been forced into. None of my dreams are really my dreams and none of my skills have been a result of my own desire and will. I've been a prisoner since the moment my mother took her last breath, a woman grown instead of a child. This is what they've done to me - what he had done to me and I cannot forgive him for it.

Sitting inside the black SUV with tinted windows and covered license plates, I lean back and stiffen. Physically stopping myself from turning around and looking at them all, I hold my breath until the car starts. I'm relieved there are no gunshots in the air, not one shot fired. I'm relieved they're all safe.

"Are you okay?" Blair whispers and I nearly shriek, unaware he had taken the seat next to me instead of father. One look is enough to tell me he's the driver, his eyes set on the road as I struggle to keep in my tears. But I can't show fear and I can't show emotion.

Be the cold huntress they've trained you to be. Push aside emotions and follow your head instead of your heart.

And my head tells me not to trust any of them.

"Of course. I'm a Silver. I'll always be a Silver."