44. Power

Snorting, I shake my head before moving closer to my father. Standing just before him, his eyes widen ever so slightly, his mouth falls open and I smirk - he's afraid.

"Val", Embry's uncertain voice is paired with a warm hand on my shoulder, but I have no time to waste.

Grabbing the gun from my father's hand I break it as easy as breaking a leaf. Gasp passing his lips amuses me, my throat burning for something to quench the thirst and while I don't know what could help, showing my newfound power is enough to settle my needs for now.

"You have taken everything." I step closer as my father stumbles back. Not blinking, my smile widens. I've never been cruel, but I can certainly be intimidating. "My childhood, my confidence and most importantly", I pause, grabbing him by the shirt and pull him he has to look me in the eye, "My position as the leader."

"Valerie, sweetie", his voice is shaky and I feel triumphal. My father never fears anything so to know he's quivering in my hold is incredibly intoxicating - he knows I mean what I say and his life is in my hands. "I'm your father, we can talk about this." He smiles, placing a hand on mine as if that would soften me up.

"I tried talking." Cocking an eyebrow, I grit me teeth and continue to speak. "If I remember well, you blamed my mother's death on me and then told me I'm weak." Chuckling dryly I tilt my head to the left with a smile remaining steady upon my lips. "Do I seem weak now, father?"

"Valerie, don't." Jacob speaks up and I roll my eyes, groaning.

"Shush boys, this is a family matter and you'd do best to stay away." Licking my lips, I grin, "After all, who knows what I might do? My hand might slip on his neck and...well..." I shrug, dropping him to the ground and he falls with a thud.

Turning around, my eyes meet Embry's concerned ones, taking note of his gulp.

"I'm still me, Em."

"You don't feel like you, Val." Embry quips and I press my lips, glancing at the boys, mainly Seth who held a baseball bat for some reason.

"This man had berated me and the rest of my family, threatened to kill yours, separated us and sent me on a suicide mission to the Volturi!" I raise my voice, the ground shaking as I do. It's as if Mother Nature feels my anger and pain and wants to commiserate.

"You'll be just like them if you continue this." Seth speaks up, his voice carrying a sadness I've never heard before. Did I seriously manage to destroy the happy pup of the pack? Am I that different?

"Apparently you've gained a special ability as well." Jasper appears beside me, a friendly smile on his face and it comforts me. I can tell he's using his ability to calm me, yet I feel myself turning on him.

Edward appears on my left, his hand gripping my elbow. "And you might want to stop yourself before attacking Jasper or any of us." His words confuse me further as Carlisle comes inside too.

"What is he talking about?" I ask the eldest Cullen, keeping an eye on my father who thought he could slip away unnoticed.

"You're alike us, but...you crave vampire venom instead of blood." Carlisle holds out a small bottle filled with a clear liquid, offering it to me. "Take it to ease the burning."

Is this why I wanted to kill Alec and Jane so badly? Well, aside from what they've done, did their venom attract me?

"Probably." Edward answers my questions and I sigh. "It's impressive how you handled yourself with them."

Nodding, I take the bottle and bring it to my nose but the scent captures my attention instantly, almost like it's compelling me to drink it all and take more. As it touches my lips, running smoothly down my throat, I feel my mouth watering, seeking for a new source.