12. Cullens

I open my eyes to dark and unfamiliar surroundings. The air seems moist and the atmosphere heavy.

"You're finally awake." The sound makes the hair on my arms stand up in response to the uneasiness it brings for I recognize that sickly sweet voice of deceit that breeds only fear.

Turning around on my heel, I an met with blood pools this man bears; teenage boy to be more accurate. I can feel sweat collecting at the back of my neck as anxiety overflows my system, but I know I must remain strong. I can't let him see the overwhelming need to run growing inside of me.

"Who are you?" I ask sternly, the beat of my heart continues to move faster by the minute, jumping once this man's lips curl into a sly smile.

"I am your mate, of course." He takes a step closer, tilting his head to the side when I take a step back and scoff.

"I highly doubt that." I don't even know what he means by that, but something inside me tells me I am already promised to another and this man is not him. His presence alone brings me terror, let alone the implications of his claim.

"Well, you'll see I'm right sooner or later. 'Till then, call me Alec." Just as the words passed his lips, he appeared inches away from me. The cold touch his hand on my cheek provides frighten and nauseate me.

Before I have the chance to say anything or move, darkness overtakes me and I am lost once more.

Gasping for air, I sit up violently fast grabbing at my throat in desperate need of oxygen.

"How long have you been having these dreams?" Jasper and another man appear before me, giving me a strange look in which it's easy to identify a mix of panic and worry.

Releasing a shaky breath in return, I'm still trying to calm myself after such a dream that brought anything but peace. A hand over my chest and another in my lap, I find my mind slowly drained of panic and overtaken with a single question.

'How did they know what I dreamed of?'

A wave of unusual serenity washes over me and I narrow my eyes at Jasper menacingly.

"Stop using your powers on me." My voice doesn't waver, relaying the warning loud and clear and the second I say the words the alien feeling fled, leaving me as I was.

"I need you to tell me about the dream." Jasper asks once more, sitting on the bed, right in front of me.

'This doesn't concern them. I don't even know them.'

"She doesn't trust us." The other man, a vampire actually, speaks up and I can't help my heart that jumps with the possibility of them being even more powerful than I initially believed.

'I swear if they can read my thoughts too, I will fucking lose it.'

"Not all of us. Just me." The vamp speaks again and my eyes widen in terror.

"What kind of a vampire are you?!" My voice goes higher from shock, glancing at Jasper for I trust him just a little bit more than the other one. I woke confused and dazed, the dream having a role in that, but also because the last thing I remember are distant howls of a broken wolf and the world around me blurring as I found myself in Jasper's arms.

"We're referred to as the cold ones. Turned by venom transferred through a bite of another of our kind, none with a choice to be what we are today." The other one fills me in, only making me gulp nervously.

"Our family doesn't hurt humans. We try to live in harmony. Fit in." Jasper continues, his relentless stare remains on my face for any clue about what's in my mind as he cannot read my thoughts like the other guy can.