𝕔𝕙𝕒𝕡𝕥𝕖𝕣 𝟝

"Nikki-chan~ I came here to give back the DVD you lent!" Said a female voice as she rushed into the classroom to find her friend slouched on her wooden desk. The girl was ecstatic after watching the movie that her best friend had lent, especially because it had fit her category and criteria of what her 'preferred' movie taste was like. They had both shared the same liking for crime and action movies with no hint of romance.

Her friend perked her head up from her desk, her face having lines that were embedded due to the 300-page notebook that rested in front of her. The girl's friend was exceedingly beautiful, the long black hair with lemon ends that she had dyed just a few days ago tied into a messy bun; the small pale face with big brown eyes covered by the glint of her thin golden-rimmed spectacles. She quietly observed Nikki's slim body draped with her school uniform — the usual white button-up shirt inside a black hoodie, loose red ribbon securing the collar of her neck,  the navy skirt on top of the hem of the shirt and silky black stockings. She noticed her friend removed her indoor shoes and sat cross-legged.

"My gosh, it's you again."

She's a good person...yet she's also cruel. Haaah, I wish she could just open up to me.

"Of course it's me! Were you expecting me to take your DVD and never return it?"

The latter scrunched up her face before putting her notebook and the DVD into her red backpack, the zippers of each section decorated in keychains from random franchises and the front of each pocket scattered with enamel pins. For a quiet and reserved girl, she had always imagined her friend as the 'cool' lone wolf with cute features of her own. Her friend stood up from her seat and pushed the chair back to where it was supposed to be, then swiftly whisking her backpack to her shoulders. 

"I don't get why you're always trying to hang out with me. What do you want?"

"A friend."

"And out of all candidates, me?"

"Yes!"

"I don't even know your name."

She puffed in annoyance. "It's Shizuka! Yoshioka Shizuka! Now, be my friend please, Aikawa Nikki-chan!"

Nikki swished her head with a blank face. "No."

"H-Huh? Why not?"

"First of all, did you just come to me because you pity my social status in school?" Nikki asked with her hands fiddling with a lollipop wrapper she pulled from her skirt pocket. "Or is it because I'm pretty?"

"B-Both!" 

"You're weirdly honest and loud for someone with the name Shizuka." Nikki deadpanned.

"I-I get that a lot, but you just pained my kokoro." Shizuka pressed her hands to her chest to represent her pain. The latter rolled her eyes before slipping on her indoor shoes, making her way outside of the classroom and forcefully sliding the doors closed, her left index finger twirling the keys that locked the doors shut. 

They both silently walked down the hallway, the blue accents of the building somewhat contrasting with the amber sky. Shizuka pursed her lips and stole small glances of her friend, the sociopath who everyone thought was just mental. She knew that there was more to Nikki than everyone else knew, she didn't care if she was just awkwardly narcissistic or overconfident of her athletic and academic abilities. In fact, that just made her features a lot more charming.

This was the first time she had tried so hard to make a friend. 

Despite Shizuka being a social butterfly, having at least a bunch of friends greet her when she entered the classroom, or the campus itself, or even the teachers when she walked across each and every faculty room — she never seemed to realise that someone could thrive so well without having any friends.